Dita Alangkara, Associated Press
JAKARTA, Indonesia — Indonesians enraged over an anti-Islam film hurled rocks and Molotov cocktails at the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta on Monday, marking the first violence in the world's most populous Muslim country since outrage exploded last week in the Middle East and beyond.
Eleven police officers were hospitalized after being pelted with rocks and attacked with bamboo sticks, said Jakarta Police Chief Maj. Gen. Untung Rajad. Four protesters were arrested and at least one hospitalized.
Protesters burned a picture of President Barack Obama, who spent part of his childhood living here. They also tried to torch a fire engine parked outside the embassy, ripping a hose from the vehicle and igniting it, which sent plumes of black smoke billowing skyward.
Molotov cocktails exploded against a fence surrounding the compound as police used a bullhorn to call for calm and deployed water cannons and tear gas to try to disperse the crowd.
"We will destroy America like this flag," a protester screamed while burning a U.S. flag. "We will chase away the American ambassador from the country."
The demonstration started peacefully as several hundred protesters from the Islamic People's Forum and the Front of Islamic Defenders, many dressed in white, marched toward the diplomatic mission. The protesters paused to observe afternoon prayers about 100 meters (yards) outside the embassy, then resumed the rally. They threw rocks at riot police who used shields to push the crowd back.
Munarman, a spokesman for the Front of Islamic Defenders, told reporters at the scene that the U.S. government is responsible for the filmmaker who insulted Islam, regardless of laws protecting freedom of speech.
"We will continue to protest until the U.S. government takes proper legal action against them," he said.
Demonstrations were also held Monday in the Indonesian cities of Medan and Bandung. Over the weekend in the central Java town of Solo, protesters stormed KFC and McDonald's restaurants, forcing customers to leave and management to close the stores.
The privately produced American-made film "Innocence of Muslims" ridicules Islam and depicts the Prophet Muhammad as a fraud, a womanizer and a pedophile. The low-budget movie has prompted violent protests against U.S. embassies and other targets in several countries in the Middle East and beyond.
Access to the video has been blocked in Indonesia after the government declared it illegal, though some clips could still be viewed online Monday. Most of the secular nation's 210 million Muslims practice a moderate form of the religion.
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Actor Paul Walker dies in car crash; was...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining challenge
- Switched at birth, man raised in poverty...
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy
- Research: Native American genes have Eurasian...
- Newtown releases 911 calls showing anguish...
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's birth...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 71
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 43
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 33
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Obama declares health care law is... 20
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 19
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy 18
- Research: Native American genes have... 14