Utah State football: Aggie special teams miscues prove costly in Big Ten country
Down 14-3 at halftime, Wisconsin had to turn to its special teams to score its first touchdown as Doe found the end zone on the punt return and it was quickly 14-10 Utah State.
After another three-and-out by the Utah State offense, Jaron Bentrude shanked a 19-yard punt, setting up the Badgers at the Aggies' 42. Ball, who had 37 carries on the night, scored on a 17-yard run. Utah State blocked the extra point to keep the Badgers' first lead at 16-14.
Utah State got the ball back with 1:38 remaining in the game with a chance to win the game. Keeton found Cameron Webb, who was double teamed, for a 36-yard play to the Badgers' 15. That's as close as the Aggies would get to the end zone and had to try the fateful field goal.
Along with Williams' 78 yards receiving, he added 43 yards on the ground as the Aggies rushed for 127 yards. Keeton led the way with 75 yards on 15 carries. Through the air, Keeton was 18-for-34 for 181 yards and two touchdowns.
The Badgers were led by Ball, who gained 139 yards on the ground. The Aggies' defense did a sound job in trying to contain the star running back.
"That was the game plan to stop 28," said Aggies safety Brian Suite, who had a career-high 13 tackles. "I thought we did a good job. Coaches drew up a great scheme."
"I thought the defense played well," Andersen said. "(Ball is) a tremendous back and they give him the ball a lot. They should give him the ball a lot and they should have continued to give him the ball a lot. … He got some yards, but I thought we gang tackled him and we were physical with him at the point of attack for the most part."
Utah State now needs to move on and get ready to play at Colorado State next week. However, it will be hard for the players to forget a tough loss.
"We've just got to realize that there's more games left in the season," Williams said. "This is definitely a tough loss and it will sit with us for a little bit and it will be a bad taste in my mouth for the rest of the weekend, but we've got to move on and practice hard for this next game coming up."
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- Morning links: ESPN's Chad Ford draft...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 99
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 90
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 29
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28