Photo courtesy of Bob Wolford
EPHRAIM — Snow College rode the legs of Breon Allen to a convincing 50-33 win over the Glendale Community College Gauchos in the conference opener for both teams. Allen, a sophomore running back from Daytona Beach, Fla., ran for 281 yards on 27 carries and three touchdowns for the No. 15-ranked Badgers.
"He made a lot of big plays for us, but what I like as a coach is that he gets us the 5 yards on a play when that's all that is there," said second-year head coach Tyler Hughes. "He's disciplined as a runner and gets everything he can out of every play."
Allen scored on runs of 3, 58 and 44 yards in the game.
Though the Gauchos scored 33 points, the Badger defense was dominating once again. Defensive end Thomas Bryson, from Layton High, scored the first points of the game when he tackled Gaucho running back Devontre Burks in the end zone for a safety with just under five minutes left in the opening quarter.
Bryson later blocked a Gaucho punt that was returned 24 yards for a touchdown by Tre Hansen early in the fourth quarter. Through four games, the Badger defense has scored six touchdowns and recorded two safeties.
But the Gauchos stung the Badger defense with big plays that kept Snow from pulling away. They scored on a 71-yard pass play from Jon Brown to Marquise Coleman and John Greer had an 89-yard run from scrimmage that set Glendale up for another score at the 1-yard line.
Snow quarterback Christian Stewart countered with touchdown passes of six and 32 yards to tight ends Evan Moeai and Julian Johnson and 61 yards to wide out Damond Powell. Stewart finished with 237 yards passing. Powell had five receptions for 114 yards.
Brown threw for a touchdown and 233 yards and had 81 yards gained on the ground with four rushing touchdowns. The Badgers sacked Brown seven times, however, for minus-69 yards, netting him only 12 yards on the ground.
Snow improved to 3-1 on the season while Glendale drops to 1-2.
- Ranking the best fits for the Utah Jazz in...
- Ranking the best free agents in the NBA
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents may...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to be...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Jazz in talks with German center Pleiss,...
- The U.S. women’s national soccer team...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 90
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 51
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 47
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 34
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 27
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 26