Photo courtesy of Bob Wolford
EPHRAIM — Snow College rode the legs of Breon Allen to a convincing 50-33 win over the Glendale Community College Gauchos in the conference opener for both teams. Allen, a sophomore running back from Daytona Beach, Fla., ran for 281 yards on 27 carries and three touchdowns for the No. 15-ranked Badgers.
"He made a lot of big plays for us, but what I like as a coach is that he gets us the 5 yards on a play when that's all that is there," said second-year head coach Tyler Hughes. "He's disciplined as a runner and gets everything he can out of every play."
Allen scored on runs of 3, 58 and 44 yards in the game.
Though the Gauchos scored 33 points, the Badger defense was dominating once again. Defensive end Thomas Bryson, from Layton High, scored the first points of the game when he tackled Gaucho running back Devontre Burks in the end zone for a safety with just under five minutes left in the opening quarter.
Bryson later blocked a Gaucho punt that was returned 24 yards for a touchdown by Tre Hansen early in the fourth quarter. Through four games, the Badger defense has scored six touchdowns and recorded two safeties.
But the Gauchos stung the Badger defense with big plays that kept Snow from pulling away. They scored on a 71-yard pass play from Jon Brown to Marquise Coleman and John Greer had an 89-yard run from scrimmage that set Glendale up for another score at the 1-yard line.
Snow quarterback Christian Stewart countered with touchdown passes of six and 32 yards to tight ends Evan Moeai and Julian Johnson and 61 yards to wide out Damond Powell. Stewart finished with 237 yards passing. Powell had five receptions for 114 yards.
Brown threw for a touchdown and 233 yards and had 81 yards gained on the ground with four rushing touchdowns. The Badgers sacked Brown seven times, however, for minus-69 yards, netting him only 12 yards on the ground.
Snow improved to 3-1 on the season while Glendale drops to 1-2.
- Dick Harmon: BYU exits Las Vegas in a...
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- Utah basketball: Utes outlast Washington...
- BYU basketball: Kyle Collinsworth has torn...
- BYU football: Cougar corner Trent Trammell...
- BYU basketball: Kyle Collinsworth's knee...
- San Francisco coach apologizes for postgame...
- Bubble watch: BYU playing the waiting game
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 86
- Utah basketball: Utes outlast... 78
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early... 72
- San Francisco coach apologizes for... 55
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 32
- BYU basketball: Kyle Collinsworth has... 31