"That's a huge pickup," Verlander said of the two stops. "When you're out there on the mound and you're battling and one of your teammates makes a play like that, that's teamwork at its best. Obviously, I was pretty pumped up about it."
After winning just once in his past six starts, Verlander came in with a season-high 2.91 ERA. All he needed was an outing against the inept Indians to drop it back down to 2.82.
The defending AL MVP lost his two previous starts to Cleveland this season, including the July 26 game when he gave up four runs in the seventh and lost 5-3. Verlander had also been winless on the road since July 15, going 0-3 with a 6.46 ERA in five outings.
Verlander took the mound with a 2-0 lead after the Tigers strung together four two-out singles off Kluber.
Notes: Donald was hit on the right wrist by Verlander in the seventh. The Indians said X-rays are pending. ... Indians SS Asdrubal Cabrera missed his fifth straight game with a sprained right wrist. Cabrera, who injured himself nearly two weeks ago, received a cortisone shot. Manager Manny Acta is hopeful Cabrera will be back in the lineup at some point this weekend. ... Indians OF Michael Brantley missed his second game with a strained chest muscle he hurt swinging in the batting cages in Texas. He's expected back during the series. ... Cleveland was shut out for the 10th time.
- Commentary: Long-term success in independence...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- High school boys basketball: Underdogs shine...
- High school sports: Thursday's prep roundup
- BYU basketball: Cougars face No. 21 UMass in...
- Utah Jazz: Banner day coming for Jerry Sloan
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 52
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 46
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 43