Mark A. Philbrick, BYU
Winner: You're probably not surprised to hear that a BYU study found exercise is a good way to keep from overeating. The answers to weight loss are never as simple as some people or businesses would have you believe. Yes, it takes effort — the key is to move around more and eat less. But this study found that moving around more temporarily reduces your interest in eating. It also found that exercise doesn't wear people out. Those who exercise tend to outpace their colleagues in physical activity during the rest of the day, which means they continue to eat less. The best news? Unlike those other weight-loss plans on late-night TV, this one actually saves you money.
Loser: Despite all the good news Utah has received lately in terms of high rankings on surveys identifying the best places to do business, the state jumped 10 spots on the list of highest foreclosure rates in the nation. The August rate lists Utah 16th, up from 26th in July. One of every 911 housing units in the state was in foreclosure last month. That's actually down considerably over the same time a year ago, but the trend is not good. Foreclosures also were up nationwide in August.
Winner: It's healthy to be freaked out from time to time. At least, it breaks up the dull monotony of a weekday. A lot of folks wondered when they looked into the early morning southern sky over Utah on Thursday and saw a long, unusual contrail forming. Was it an airplane? A pile of space debris? A gaseous meteor? No, it was a successful missile test launched in New Mexico, clearly visible to people in Nevada, Arizona and Utah. The sun hit it just right, lighting up the contrail for millions of people to see — if they were awake, that is. The interesting display is one more reason why it pays to be an early riser.
Winner: You may have been wondering when scientists were going to discover a new species of monkey. Well, wonder no more. Natives of central Africa had referred to an owl-faced animal with eerily human eyes as lesula, but until now no one else knew it existed. If nothing else, the find has convinced scientists that Africa's jungles are filled with exotic species yet to be discovered.
- 33 Mark Twain quotes that prove he was an...
- Charles Krauthammer: The nation expects...
- My view: Deeper look at Utah’s...
- Dan Liljenquist: Rights vs. privileges...
- My view: The best legislation meets all sides
- A. Scott Anderson: Give students skills that...
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a liberal?
- Letter: Give her time
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that... 152
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a... 75
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation... 43
- Dan Liljenquist: Rights vs. privileges... 36
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense... 30
- My view: The best legislation meets all... 30
- Letter: Lessons for Greg Bell 29
- Letter: Legal weapons on campus 29