The Republican and Democratic National Conventions were recently held. Both claim to have the solution to getting America back to work. I think both really miss the real solution. When I was growing up, American corporations such as GE, Westinghouse, Black and Decker, RCA and many others manufactured their products in the United States, but now manufacturing is mostly in China. I think we need to replace "Made in China" with "Made in USA."
Many think they are passing along to the consumer savings in overseas production. Didn't we learn otherwise with the Air Jordan shoes, which were produced in India using child labor as young as 9-years-old and selling them here for $200?
I recently went shopping for a new U.S. flag, looking for one made in the U.S. After going to a half dozen stores, I found one made here in the good old U.S. for less money and with a stronger pole. American corporations used to be exporters; now they are importers. It's time to pass legislation requiring corporations headquartered in America to manufacture their products which will be distributed in the U.S. in America.
Donald Lee Eastman
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- My view: Non-discrimination laws have a problem
- President should not act without...
- In our opinion: No more 'Government Motors'
- Richard Davis: Mandela's greatest achievement...
- Matthew Sanders: Nelson Mandela's goodness...
- Doug Robinson: We are in the midst of an era...
- Letter: American billionaires
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum... 65
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it 61
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before... 43
- Andrew Morriss: No, Congress should not... 39
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 30
- In our opinion: No more 'Government... 29
- President should not act without... 26
- My view: Non-discrimination laws have a... 25