Tom Smart, Deseret News
No. 25 BYU (2-0) at Utah (1-1)
TODAY, 8 p.m.
Rice-Eccles Stadium (45,017)
FieldTurf, Salt Lake City
Radio: 700AM, 1160AM, 102.7FM
Weather: Partly cloudy, 77 degrees
For BYU ... The Cougars can avenge last season's 44-point loss at home to the Utes. Their hopes of being a BCS Buster would gain energy with wins at Utah and Boise State over the next five days.
For Utah ...The Utes are looking to avoid an in-state sweep by USU and BYU. Besides playing for pride, they could use some positive momentum heading into their second season in the Pac-12.
For BYU ... The Cougars are off to a 2-0 start for the first time since 2009. They haven't opened with three straight wins since going 6-0 in 2008. BYU hasn't won at Utah since a 33-31 decision in 2006.
For Utah ... The Utes have won the past two meetings against BYU and four of the last five played up on the hill. Utah's 54-10 win last season in Provo was its largest margin of victory in 89 years.
Player to watch
Riley Nelson, BYU: The mobile senior faces a Utah defense that allowed USU's Chuckie Keeton to rush for 86 yards last week. Nelson also faces a Ute secondary that could be without its two regular safeties.
Utah offense vs. BYU defense: The Utes have yet to score a single point in a first quarter this season. Another slow start could spell trouble against the Cougars. Their defense is giving up just 9.5 points per game.
BYU: Wide receiver Ross Apo (hamstring) is expected to play after missing last week's game. Defensive lineman Ian Dulan (sore back) is not expected to play.
Utah: Quarterback Jordan Wynn has retired because of a shoulder injury. Safety Eric Rowe (hamstring) is questionable.
BYU plays at Boise State on Thursday, while Utah opens Pac-12 play Saturday at Arizona State.
Date. . .Opponent. . .Time/result
Aug. 30. . .N. Colorado. . .W, 41-0
Sept. 7. . .at Utah State. . .L, 27-20 (OT)
Sept. 15. . .BYU. . .8 p.m.
Sept. 22. . .at Arizona State. . .8 p.m.
Oct. 4. . .Southern Cal. . .7 p.m.
Oct. 13. . .at UCLA. . .TBAOct. 20. . .at Oregon State. . .TBA
Oct. 27. . .California. . .TBA
Nov. 3. . .Washington St.. . .TBA
Nov. 10. . .at Washington. . .TBA
Nov. 17. . .Arizona. . .TBA
Nov. 23. . .at Colorado. . .1 p.m.
Date. . .Opponent. . .Time/result
Aug. 30. . .Washington State. . .W, 30-6
Sept. 8. . .Weber State. . .W, 45-13
Sept. 15. . .at Utah. . .8 p.m.
Sept. 20. . .at Boise State. . .7 p.m.
Sept. 28. . .Hawaii. . .6 p.m.
Oct. 5. . .Utah State. . .8:15 p.m.
Oct. 13. . .Oregon State. . .TBA
Oct. 20. . .at Notre Dame. . .1:30 p.m.
Oct. 27. . .at Georgia Tech. . .TBA
Nov. 10. . .Idaho. . .TBA
Nov. 17. . .at San Jose State. . .2 p.m.
Nov. 24. . .at New Mexico St.. . .1:30 p.m.
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best shot...
- Cougars set to face Aggie QB Keeton in his...
- Utah State denies David Collette's release,...
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected 75-68...
- Jazz beat Clippers 102-91 to snap 13-game...
- Utah State students plan a 'beard out' for...
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Fan shows his long-distance, lifelong loyalty...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 57
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 49
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 41
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 32
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad... 31