Within this group we find the hundreds of different sizes, shapes and types.
Tulips grow from 4 inches to 28 inches high and usually produce one flower per stem. A few cultivars produce multiple flowers on the same stem. Tulips are generally cup or star shaped with three petals and three sepals that are nearly identical in size and shape.
The origin of the name is uncertain, but may come from Persia. It is thought that some tulips resemble a turban, and the name is derived from that.
Although the plants normally would be grown in a Mediterranean climate, they can be planted in areas with cool, moist winters, like those that flourish in Holland.
Growers plant them in late fall and the cool, moist winters provide chilling that the bulbs need, plus the moisture to grow the next spring.
The bulbs spend the summer out of the soil because after they bloom, they are dug, sorted and prepared for sale.
They are then replanted or sold the next fall to propagate more tulips or to beautify gardens around the world.
The Utah Giant Pumpkin Growers weigh-off is Saturday, Sept. 29, at Thanksgiving Point, from noon to 3 p.m.
For information on entering pumpkins and other giant vegetables, go to www.utahpumpkingrowers.com/index.html
The Red Butte Garden Bulb and Native Plant Sale is set for Friday, Sept. 28, from 3-7:30 p.m. and Saturday, Sept. 29, from 9 a.m.-7:30 p.m. in the courtyard behind the Visitor Center. Visitors will find a selection of native and waterwise perennials, trees and shrubs, as well as a variety of ornamental grasses and flowering perennials. Staff and volunteers will answer questions and assist with plant selection. Regular garden admission applies; members get in free.
Larry A. Sagers is a horticulture specialist for the Utah State University Extension Service at Thanksgiving Point.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Britain's little prince celebrates first...
- Dear daughter, I hope you never conform to...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,...
- Leaving your child alone in public? Better be...
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 51
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 16
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Linda & Richard Eyre: What we can all... 11
- Understanding and responding to the... 9
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 9
- Utah kids have lower death rate, but... 9
- Leaving your child alone in public?... 5