Lessons from woman with rare medical condition: 'Stop Staring and Start Learning'
Our take: From the store window displays to magazines in the grocery store checkout, women both young and old are constantly barraged by images of photoshopped and airbrushed models. Many activists such as the teens who petitioned Seventeen magazine to stop photoshopping models and the Utahn burn survivor Stephanie Nielson have promoted a focus on unique talents and inner beauty. In this article by Yahoo! Shine's editor, Lizzie Velasquez, who suffers from a rare medical condition, joins the ranks of activists helping people find their own unique beauty as she teaches people to stop staring and start learning.
When she was in high school, Lizzie Velasquez was dubbed "The World's Ugliest Woman" in an 8-second-long YouTube video. Born with a medical condition so rare that just two other people in the world are thought to have it, Velasquez has no adipose tissue and cannot create muscle, store energy, or gain weight. She has zero percent body fat and weighs just 60 pounds.
In the comments on YouTube, viewers called her "it" and "monster" and encouraged her to kill herself. Instead, Velasquez set four goals: To become a motivational speaker, to publish a book, to graduate college, and to build a family and a career for herself.
Now 23 years old, she's been a motivational speaker for seven years and has given more than 200 workshops on embracing uniqueness, dealing with bullies, and overcoming obstacles. She's a senior majoring in Communications at Texas State University in San Marcos, where she lives with her best friend. Her first book, "Lizzie Beautiful," came out in 2010 and her second, "Be Beautiful, Be You," was published earlier this month.
- Modest swimsuit designer speaks out on bikinis
- Bear scare: 'Baden and Logan saved my life.'
- 7-year-old girl who met Justin Bieber passes...
- Dear son: This is why I can't save you from...
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at question...
- 'Pain capable' abortion regulation makes...
- Dear mom who sometimes feels like a terrible...
- Pew study: News media inserted bias into gay...
- Pew study: News media inserted bias... 57
- Parents rally after Canadian elementary... 25
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at... 21
- Gunman caught after shooting... 20
- Modest swimsuit designer speaks out on... 17
- Dad shares lessons learned from living... 12
- Ogden man shot as he knelt to pray is... 12
- Push for solutions underway to Utah's... 11