"This is a political solution and not a health solution," said Eliot Hoff, a spokesman for an industry-sponsored group called New Yorkers for Beverage Choices, which claims to have gathered more than 250,000 signatures on petitions against the plan.
He said the group is considering suing to block the rule.
"We will continue to voice our opposition to this ban and fight for the right of New Yorkers to make their own choices. And we will stand with the business owners who will be hurt by these arbitrary limitations," Hoff said in a statement.
Barring court intervention, enforcement will be carried out by New York City's restaurant inspectors. Violations will carry a $200 fine.
Complying might prove complicated for some establishments.
Starbucks is trying to figure out whether the regulations bar it from selling calorie-packed Frappuccinos in the 24-ounce size.
Another issue could be iced coffee, which many cafes sweeten with liquefied sugar. Customers might have to add the sweetener themselves.
Fast-food restaurants with self-serve soda fountains will be prohibited from giving out cups larger than 16 ounces, but people will still be allowed refills.
Manhattan pizza shop owner Vinnie Siena said halting sales of large sodas will hurt his already thin profit margin, unless he raises prices.
"I'm having a tough time as it is. They don't want the little guy to survive, it seems," he said.
Associated Press Writer Alex Katz contributed to this report.
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Actor Paul Walker dies in car crash; was...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining challenge
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy
- Research: Native American genes have Eurasian...
- Newtown releases 911 calls showing anguish...
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's birth...
- Unions and tea party activists? Common Core...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 71
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 43
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 33
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Obama declares health care law is... 19
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 18
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy 17
- Research: Native American genes have... 14