7) Aug. 17, 2007 – Jordan 27, Northridge 26 – The Beetdiggers had earlier blocked a game-tying extra point and with about six minutes left in the fourth quarter, a lightning storm caused an hour and a half delay, and the game was terminated.
8) Aug. 19, 2011 – Brighton 0, Davis 0 – The game stopped at halftime when the lights on Brighton's field malfunctioned.
9) Aug. 31, 2012 – Duchesne 33, West Wendover (Nev.) 0 – A lightning-caused delay halted the game at halftime.
Golden Years – Installment 5
This week: Altamont, Bear River, Copper Hills, Kanab, Mountain Crest, Murray, North Emery, North Sanpete, Skyline, Tooele, Uintah, Viewmont and Whitehorse.
(For new readers: During the regular season, Felt's Facts is identifying the golden era in football for almost every high school, excluding a few that are too new, or were too short-lived, to have developed much history. Around a dozen active schools are randomly selected each week, with one or two discontinued programs thrown in for good measure.)
Altamont – 1992-1994 – Robert Marshall engineered three winning seasons and a 22-9 record. He guided the Longhorns to their only championship-game appearance, in '93, and to the semifinals in '92 and '94. Blake Bingham was all-state MVP in '93 and two-time all-state player in '92 and '93. Donald Miles and Brandon Patterson were also two-time all-staters, in 1993 and '94.
Bear River – 2003-2004 – The Bears snared their first two state championships and reeled off a school-record 23 straight wins en route to a 25-1 record. Under Chris Wise, the Bears also captured a pair of region titles and shut out nine of their 26 opponents. Jason Zundel is one of just nine players to be honored as back-to-back all-state MVPs.
Copper Hills – 2007-2008 – The Grizzlies haven't enjoyed much winning tradition, but Art Erickson led CH to a couple of its best seasons in his final two years when the Grizzlies won eight contests.
Kanab – 1980-1989 – Over 10 seasons, the Cowboys lassoed four state championships ('82, '85-87), eight region titles (missing only in '80 and '87) and compiled a 92-19 record. Appearing in the championship annually from 1981-88, Kanab amassed a 23-6 playoff record. Renowned coach Aryln Hafen posted 37 shutouts in 111 – one third – of Kanab's games and held opponents to single digits in another 39. Eric Brown ('82), Klint Glover ('86), Mickey Houston ('87), Ricky Lamb ('86), Darin Ott ('85) and Nolan Reidhead ('87) garnered all-state MVP awards during the decade.
Mountain Crest – 1998-2002 – The Mustangs rode the arm of Ryan Zimmerman to the 2001 state championship in coach Art Erickson's first season. Coupled with Dan Cox's last three seasons (1998-2000), MC snagged three region crowns and rolled to a 43-15 record over five years. Zimmerman, the 2001 and '02 all-state MVP, set state career offense and passing yard records, which were later broken by another Mustang, Alex Kuresa (2007-10).
Murray – 1953-1955 – During Allen Davis' final three years, the Spartans won their first state championship in 1954, claimed region crowns in 1954 and '55 and raced to a 27-4 record. Two-time all-state quarterback Wayne Startin ('53-54) joined all-state halfback Lamar "Pete" Haun ('54) on the 11-0 state title squad – the only undefeated team and only double-digit winner in Murray's history.
North Emery – 1933 – The 3-0 season marked the Rangers' only winning season in nine years of football, from 1925-33.
North Sanpete – 1998-2004 – Mark Wootton's last six seasons and Blake Turner's only year saw the Hawks claim five region championships and post a 54-24 mark. NS enjoyed a school-record seven consecutive winning seasons and the school's only double-digit win seasons ('01 and '02). In postseason play, the Hawks advanced past the first round four times and to the state semifinals twice. Kevin Jacobsen ('01-02), Tyler Lee ('01-02) and Brett Madsen ('02-03) were two-time all-state players.
- BYU basketball: National experts weigh in on...
- 'Meet the Mormons' missionary, Anthony...
- BYU football: Kai Nacua looking forward after...
- Lexi Eaton scores 30, including game-winner,...
- BYU looking to get off bubble, into NCAA...
- Breaking down the field: West Coast...
- Utes struggle, survive scare but eventually...
- 1A boys basketball tournament: Live streams...
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for... 78
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 52
- Utes struggle, survive scare but... 47
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting,... 45
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 44
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 42
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40
- BYU football: Christian Stewart returns... 32