Snow Canyon (2-7 in 2011) and South Sevier (1-8 in '11) are both 3-1 and have already surpassed their 2011 season victories. In addition to Timpanogos and Woods Cross, four other schools have matched last year's win total: Clearfield (2), Grand (2), Pleasant Grove (3) and Roy (4).
One First-time Matchup
Most regions are in full swing this week with only Regions 2, 4 and 10 not starting until Week 6. Still, there are 19 non-region games and 17 repeat from last year, but, of course, at the opposite field.
One of the two non-repeaters, Summit Academy at Whitehorse, is a first-time pairing. The other, Altamont at Carbon, matches teams that met in 2007 (Dinos won) and '08 (Longhorns prevailed).
Most-played Rivalries (min. 50 games)
Ogden and Bear River first met 91 seasons ago and have clashed 63 times since. The Tigers have won three straight in 2007, '08 and '11 to go up 36-26-1 in the series.
Dixie and Hurricane first battled 64 seasons ago, but have played 60 times. Dixie leads the series 42-17-1 although the Tigers have won three in a row.
Other game notes
Bingham has a 19-13 edge over Cottonwood and has a 12-game winning streak in this occasionally-played series…. Tooele meets Stansbury in the fourth annual Boot Game; the Buffaloes have a 2-1 lead.
Kanab has dropped three straight to Enterprise, but still holds a 9-5 series margin…. Manti holds a thin 11-10 series lead over North Summit.
Brighton is gunning for its 300th win when the Bengals host Pleasant Grove.
Delta and Millard each play their 800th game, while Juan Diego plays its 150th, all under coach John Colosimo.
Now in his 15th season, Ryan Bishop is going for his 100th overall coaching victory. … Aaron Whitehead is coaching his 50th game overall in seven seasons at East and Olympus.
Some School-record-setting Performances
Clearfield scored 21 points in just 1:18 last week. That feat ranks seventh for the most points scored in a brief period of time.
Jordan has now scored in a school record-tying 88 straight games, while Juan Diego set a school record by also scoring in 88 consecutive contests.
Millard's Jesse Rhodes has rushed for at least 100 yards in 18 games over his four-year career, a school record and tied for the 10th most all-time.
A Brief History of Time-shortened Games
The interrupted game between East and Jordan in Week 3 called attention to previous contests that have been cut short for various reasons. All nine were considered complete games and the results included in both teams' records. Here's a chronological list.
1) Oct. 21, 1943 – Granite 13, Grantsville 0 – The game was cancelled at halftime after heavy rain turned Granite's field into a quagmire.
2 & 3) Two games were halted at halftime the same night, Sept. 21, 1945 – Granite 7, Provo 7 because of pouring rain and Jordan 14, Grand Junction (Colo.) 0 because the "weather played havoc" with the lights at Jordan, according to newspaper accounts. The games were season openers.
4) Aug. 30, 1974 – North Sanpete 8, Dugway 0 – Another season opener ended at halftime when the power failed at North Sanpete. (Or someone just turned off the lights.)
5) Sept. 14, 1984 – American Fork 30, West 30 – After three overtimes, officials called the game, which started in the late afternoon, because of darkness. Both teams were unhappy with the outcome, but made no plans to continue since it was a non-league contest.
6) Oct. 23, 1992 – Mountain Crest 23, Bear River 0 – In the third quarter, a head injury to a Bear River player delayed the game 20 minutes. Later, with 2:36 left in the third, a compound leg fracture to a MC gridder delayed the contest another 35 minutes, at which point both coaches decided to end the game.
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- 'In Football We Trust' puts a religious twist...
- Best of the West: Shifting teams around after...
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 65
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 29
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Utes get it done at home again 21
- Matt Carlino playing much the same at... 19
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 17