Our Take: Ok.com, a new site released by Deseret Digital Media, helps users find movie recommendations from the Facebook friends they trust. OK.com draws on the wisdom of crowds by allowing users to assign age-appropriate ratings to movies. In this article from Wired, Kevin Makice reviews the site, saying that "the combination of simple questions, trusted network and integrated services allows parents to better evaluate content and act on their conclusions immediately." Ok.com and DeseretNews.com are operated by Deseret Digital Media. Tools and content from Ok.com will be available on DeseretNews.com Friday.
In addition to building things and playing games, GeekDad is clearly a fan of movies. We geeks have a vested interest in raising our kids on the finer points of the Force and Patronus. It is in our best interest to make sure the next generation understands that where we are going, we dont need roads.
Unfortunately, the cue the movie industry provides as to what is kid-appropriate — [G] does not stand for Geeky — is the MPAA ratings system, a flawed process that assigns a code to suggest a minimum age for viewing a film. The various contributing factors are conflated into a single rating that can sometimes miss the mark, hiding the nuanced information parents need to match their style with movie choices for their children.
As an alternative to MPAA, many parents rely on other resources to help guide viewing decisions. GeekDad has a "10 Things Parents Should Know" series of movie reviews for our domain. Kids-In-Mind has long been a resource my wife and I have consulted when were on the fence about letting our children see a particular movie. KIM provides an exhaustive list of potential content triggers in three major areas of concern, but often includes spoilers by providing that detail. IMDBs Parents Guide, Parent Previews and Common Sense are similar tools for pre-screening borderline films.
- Things that changed my view of marriage forever
- 42 ways to make your kids feel absolutely loved
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- Woman's happiness most important to having a...
- 'I am Adam Lanza's Mother' author Liza Long...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- 11 movies to watch out for this fall
- Jon Heder becomes Napoleon Dynamite again for...
- The economy has begun to recover, but... 24
- Things that changed my view of marriage... 19
- The changing definition of 'TV': What... 13
- Should I stay or should I go? How faith... 9
- Jon Heder becomes Napoleon Dynamite... 9
- 42 ways to make your kids feel... 7
- How net neutrality impacts online news... 6
- Woman's happiness most important to... 5