Mark Lennihan, Associated Press
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. A DIFFERENT KIND OF SEPT. 11
For the first time, elected officials won't speak at ground zero ceremony.
2. DEBATE SURROUNDS ANNUAL $60M COST OF 9/11 MEMORIAL
NYC mayor says the price is necessary for security and other requirements; some say it adds up to unneeded grandeur.
3. WHY EVERYONE'S WATCHING THE CHICAGO TEACHERS STRIKE
The union is taking a major stand on teacher evaluations, which could have ripple effects across the country.
4. CALL IT CHINA'S CLUB FED
Better food, beds and cells await the political elite in prison.
5. WHO'S GEARING UP TONIGHT FOR A BIG STORM
Tropical Storm Leslie is expected to make landfall Tuesday morning in Newfoundland, and may become a hurricane.
6. AL-QAIDA DEALT A MAJOR BLOW
Terror group's No. 2 leader in Yemen killed in airstrike.
7. WHERE ANGELINA JOLIE IS VISITING
On Tuesday she met with displaced Syrians at a tent camp in Jordan, in her role as the U.N. refugee agency's special envoy.
8. AIG TURNING OUT TO BE A GOOD DEAL FOR UNCLE SAM
With latest share sale, government will earn at least $12 billion from bailout of the huge insurer.
9. STUDY: ACUPUNCTURE CAN EASE ACHES
The needle therapy has become more mainstream — the military has used it to help treat pain from war wounds.
10. MURRAY ENDS BRITAIN'S 76-YEAR GRAND SLAM WAIT
He wins the U.S. Open in five sets over defending champion Novak Djokovic of Serbia.
- Photo gallery: Tornado rips Oklahoma suburb
- Crews dig through night after deadly Okla....
- Journalists criticize Obama administration,...
- Top scandals and controversies of each United...
- Mile-wide tornado churns through Oklahoma...
- Oklahoma, other tornado-hit states brace for...
- World War II munitions with mustard agent...
- AIG CEO tells college graduates facing...
- Mitt Romney talks IRS, AP records,... 65
- Journalists criticize Obama... 24
- Associated Press CEO calls records... 23
- White House insists Obama was not... 22
- House chairman sees IRS targeting as... 16
- Supreme Court to weigh in on... 13
- Republicans try to link IRS scandal,... 12
- Tea party looks to take advantage of... 12