A guy with an eight handicap in golf, Falslev is well known on his home course, Birch Creek in Smithfield and at Sleepy Ridge Golf Course in Orem where he worked this summer taking care of carts.
Two years ago, Bronco Mendenhall asked Falslev to join him and two teammates playing in a Kidney Foundation of Utah golf tournament at The Country Club, a competition of sorts between Utah's Kyle Whittingham and BYU's Mendenhall to raise money for the cause.
On one particular green, Mendenhall's group had a 12-foot putt and the coach asked Falslev if he could roll it in. "Yeah, I can make that," he replied.
"If you do, I'll play you," said Mendenhall.
Falslev promptly stood over the putt and stroked it into the cup.
Kaye Falslev says what has made her son successful is both the competitive spirit and his compassion.
"Maybe being competitive is enough on the college level. But whether he's an elected leader or not, he always turns out to be a leader and that's because of his compassion. He means it when he wants everyone on his team to be good, that if everyone is an equal threat, nobody can be double-teamed and they can win, either on the scoreboard or execution," said Kaye. "He has an abundance mentality, that there's enough recognition opportunity; that there's enough opportunity, and if everybody fulfills their assignment, they'll all have a good experience. It's true in his athletic life and personal life."
Someday, her son wants to be a football coach.
A former walk-on at BYU, Falslev is now the proud owner of a grant-in-aid that pays his education. He received that after Mendenhall had seen enough last November and awarded him with a scholarship after Falslev toiled for two seasons without one.
Hunger, attitude, work ethic, competitiveness, it all fell into place in Mendenhall's player matrix.
And yes, getting that piece of paper was a competitive thing too.
That's just the way Falslev rolls.
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 50
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 20
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 9
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 8