A guy with an eight handicap in golf, Falslev is well known on his home course, Birch Creek in Smithfield and at Sleepy Ridge Golf Course in Orem where he worked this summer taking care of carts.
Two years ago, Bronco Mendenhall asked Falslev to join him and two teammates playing in a Kidney Foundation of Utah golf tournament at The Country Club, a competition of sorts between Utah's Kyle Whittingham and BYU's Mendenhall to raise money for the cause.
On one particular green, Mendenhall's group had a 12-foot putt and the coach asked Falslev if he could roll it in. "Yeah, I can make that," he replied.
"If you do, I'll play you," said Mendenhall.
Falslev promptly stood over the putt and stroked it into the cup.
Kaye Falslev says what has made her son successful is both the competitive spirit and his compassion.
"Maybe being competitive is enough on the college level. But whether he's an elected leader or not, he always turns out to be a leader and that's because of his compassion. He means it when he wants everyone on his team to be good, that if everyone is an equal threat, nobody can be double-teamed and they can win, either on the scoreboard or execution," said Kaye. "He has an abundance mentality, that there's enough recognition opportunity; that there's enough opportunity, and if everybody fulfills their assignment, they'll all have a good experience. It's true in his athletic life and personal life."
Someday, her son wants to be a football coach.
A former walk-on at BYU, Falslev is now the proud owner of a grant-in-aid that pays his education. He received that after Mendenhall had seen enough last November and awarded him with a scholarship after Falslev toiled for two seasons without one.
Hunger, attitude, work ethic, competitiveness, it all fell into place in Mendenhall's player matrix.
And yes, getting that piece of paper was a competitive thing too.
That's just the way Falslev rolls.
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 63
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Morning links: Warriors feel Andrew... 22