A guy with an eight handicap in golf, Falslev is well known on his home course, Birch Creek in Smithfield and at Sleepy Ridge Golf Course in Orem where he worked this summer taking care of carts.
Two years ago, Bronco Mendenhall asked Falslev to join him and two teammates playing in a Kidney Foundation of Utah golf tournament at The Country Club, a competition of sorts between Utah's Kyle Whittingham and BYU's Mendenhall to raise money for the cause.
On one particular green, Mendenhall's group had a 12-foot putt and the coach asked Falslev if he could roll it in. "Yeah, I can make that," he replied.
"If you do, I'll play you," said Mendenhall.
Falslev promptly stood over the putt and stroked it into the cup.
Kaye Falslev says what has made her son successful is both the competitive spirit and his compassion.
"Maybe being competitive is enough on the college level. But whether he's an elected leader or not, he always turns out to be a leader and that's because of his compassion. He means it when he wants everyone on his team to be good, that if everyone is an equal threat, nobody can be double-teamed and they can win, either on the scoreboard or execution," said Kaye. "He has an abundance mentality, that there's enough recognition opportunity; that there's enough opportunity, and if everybody fulfills their assignment, they'll all have a good experience. It's true in his athletic life and personal life."
Someday, her son wants to be a football coach.
A former walk-on at BYU, Falslev is now the proud owner of a grant-in-aid that pays his education. He received that after Mendenhall had seen enough last November and awarded him with a scholarship after Falslev toiled for two seasons without one.
Hunger, attitude, work ethic, competitiveness, it all fell into place in Mendenhall's player matrix.
And yes, getting that piece of paper was a competitive thing too.
That's just the way Falslev rolls.
- Ezekiel Ansah unveils his Turkey Dance...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- BYU football: Cougar defense confident it can...
- BYU deals with tough overtime losses at Maui...
- Linebacker Jared Norris is quietly leading...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 94
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30
- BYU looking for strong finish in... 29
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss... 28