Dick Harmon: James Lark's loyalty to BYU pays off with 2 scores in mop-up duty
Lark was OK with that.
"No bitter, it was all sweet," said Lark. "Taysom is such a good kid, a great athlete on the rise and will be a great football player. That (finishing drives) is what he does best. He can be a great wildcat quarterback. If it makes our team better, it makes me happy. I wasn't upset. I know if Riley goes down, I'm the quarterback. If it's good for the team, it's good for me. We need to use all our players to the best of their abilities."
Wow. He could write the book on being a teammate, owning citizenship in a football squad.
So that's why Lark's 27 or so plays on Saturday against the Wildcats meant something.
It means something that on Monday when the quarterbacks watch film, he'll be smack dab in the middle of it.
It means something because every team needs a James Lark.
It may not seem like a lot to some, but as I watched the kid complete his first three passes and throw a touchdown pass, it brought a smile to my face. It was a big deal.
Good for Lark.
He went 7 of 10 and threw a third-quarter touchdown to tight end Kaneakua Friel on a backside read off play action. It was perfect. "We've done it a thousand times in practice." His pass efficiency was 140.8.
Nelson, once a rival, is his best friend on the team; a deep friendship forged by shared experiences over time.
"We saw what I expected to see from James Lark; nice efficient quarterback play," Nelson said.
Of Nelson, Lark says he is one of three people he turns to when he needs help in life, the others are his wife and his father, Cliff.
Lark's loyalty to BYU football is no foolish lark.
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad story of...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 54
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 43
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35