Dick Harmon: James Lark's loyalty to BYU pays off with 2 scores in mop-up duty
Lark was OK with that.
"No bitter, it was all sweet," said Lark. "Taysom is such a good kid, a great athlete on the rise and will be a great football player. That (finishing drives) is what he does best. He can be a great wildcat quarterback. If it makes our team better, it makes me happy. I wasn't upset. I know if Riley goes down, I'm the quarterback. If it's good for the team, it's good for me. We need to use all our players to the best of their abilities."
Wow. He could write the book on being a teammate, owning citizenship in a football squad.
So that's why Lark's 27 or so plays on Saturday against the Wildcats meant something.
It means something that on Monday when the quarterbacks watch film, he'll be smack dab in the middle of it.
It means something because every team needs a James Lark.
It may not seem like a lot to some, but as I watched the kid complete his first three passes and throw a touchdown pass, it brought a smile to my face. It was a big deal.
Good for Lark.
He went 7 of 10 and threw a third-quarter touchdown to tight end Kaneakua Friel on a backside read off play action. It was perfect. "We've done it a thousand times in practice." His pass efficiency was 140.8.
Nelson, once a rival, is his best friend on the team; a deep friendship forged by shared experiences over time.
"We saw what I expected to see from James Lark; nice efficient quarterback play," Nelson said.
Of Nelson, Lark says he is one of three people he turns to when he needs help in life, the others are his wife and his father, Cliff.
Lark's loyalty to BYU football is no foolish lark.
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU downs BYU...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants freshmen to...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- Rock On: Bronco misses the mark, Utes given...
- BYU basketball instant analysis: There are...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 159
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 62
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 43
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 42
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 32
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 30