BYU football: Blowout score, backups lead to interesting Twitter discussions
Despite the final scoreline, Saturday's BYU-Weber State game started out slow. But fans on Twitter still found plenty to talk about, including the pace of the game.
The first quarter was so dull at times that tweets reverted to commentary on the marching band (and BYU's student culture). "Every time #BYU band plays 'Lord of the Rings' I wonder how many wedding proposals take place on an average fall Saturday in Provo," @RoyBurton posted.
Things picked up as the game went on, though. After BYU's Daniel Sorenson forced and recovered a fumble on a hard hit, @rgrantjohnson tweeted this: "A semi truck called Daniel Sorenson just drove across the field at LES. #BYU."
BYU quarterback Riley Nelson completed a big pass to Cody Hoffman for a touchdown, after which @kwlarson tweeted, "BREAKING: BYU's offensive line is this team's weakness.... Also, Cody Hoffman is the strength. #BYU."
And BYU fan blog @VanquishTheFoe had this observation about Nelson's physical style of play: "Can't imagine Nelson surviving against Utah if he's taking hits like this against Weber."
BYU ended the first half pitching a shutout, building on a strong defensive performance last week against Washington State. @Cougazul noted: "After this half, #BYU's defense will have gone 6 TD-less quarters to start the season." Unfortunately, the BYU defensive backups couldn't keep it up, as Weber State scored twice in the second half.
On the other hand, the bench players for BYU's offense took center stage in the third and fourth quarters. Second-string quarterback James Lark threw for one touchdown and ran for another in the third quarter. Deseret News writer Dick Harmon tweeted this about the senior backup: "Good for James Lark. Signed instead of Nelson, girlfriend killed while on his mission, worked hard all career with no hope to start= class."
But when freshman and Wildcat-formation specialist Taysom Hill entered the game, he really got the Cougar fan base fired up. "This is the first time in a long time I've liked watching #BYU in garbage time. A lot of young talent in Hill and (Jamaal) Williams," KSL's Andrew Adams tweeted.
@zbloxham echoed that sentiment, saying: "So, 3+ more years of this Taysom Hill guy. #YES."
And @NatalieCGordon compared Hill's potential to a well-known dessert at LaVell Edwards Stadium: "I've seen the future, and it is WAY better than Dippin' Dots. #BYU #TaysomHill"
As for the Utes fans who are looking ahead to next week's rivalry matchup with BYU? @SocialxSomebody had this to say: "If Jordan Wynn is the QB against the Cougars next week, we lose. It's that simple #Utes #UteNation"
Knowing the Utah and BYU fans on Twitter, that won't be the last word — not by a long shot.
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- New York Jets waive former BYU quarterback...
- Langi, Tuiloma to help anchor middle of BYU's...
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new walk-on...
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- BYU football position preview: The...
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 57
- Morning links: Cougars examined by USA... 56
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 51
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 39
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 27