In a recent conversation I had with a friend, he told me something startling. It wasn't the content that was startling as much as the fact that so many people agree with what he said. It was: "Sure not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslim."
A report made by the FBI from 1980-2005 stated that only 6 percent of terrorist attacks in the United States were performed by Muslims. So why do we think all terrorists are Muslim? Ask yourself. Do you have a Muslim friend? Is the only Muslim you know the guy on TV shouting death to America?
Having lived in the Middle East I can attest that most of the Muslims are as scared as we are of this less than 1 percent minority. Many things we hold dear, like family and charity are equally important to Muslims. While I lived in the Middle East, strangers would feed me and others would openly cry when I said I was away from family for five months. Muslims also give 2.5 percent of their earnings to charity as a part of their beliefs.
The Muslim people are good people we can learn from. Hate will only create more extremists.
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage hurts...
- Catherine Rampell: Reasons behind the bad...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- In our opinion: Let FAA, not Utah...
- Letter: Enforcing the dress code
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by focusing on...
- My view: Don't make women optional in marriage
- My view: Don't make women optional in... 104
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage... 100
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 66
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by... 45
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 41
- Drew Clark: Either view of marriage... 39
- A. Scott Anderson: Energy development... 32
- Robert Bennett: Make climate... 28