In a recent conversation I had with a friend, he told me something startling. It wasn't the content that was startling as much as the fact that so many people agree with what he said. It was: "Sure not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslim."
A report made by the FBI from 1980-2005 stated that only 6 percent of terrorist attacks in the United States were performed by Muslims. So why do we think all terrorists are Muslim? Ask yourself. Do you have a Muslim friend? Is the only Muslim you know the guy on TV shouting death to America?
Having lived in the Middle East I can attest that most of the Muslims are as scared as we are of this less than 1 percent minority. Many things we hold dear, like family and charity are equally important to Muslims. While I lived in the Middle East, strangers would feed me and others would openly cry when I said I was away from family for five months. Muslims also give 2.5 percent of their earnings to charity as a part of their beliefs.
The Muslim people are good people we can learn from. Hate will only create more extremists.
- In our opinion: A social media enabled...
- John Hoffmire: Does aid work? Markets, big...
- Derek B. Miller: Utah's economic development...
- Letter: Nothing is 'free'
- Letter: Citizens have a duty
- In our opinion: Tragedy in Aleppo should...
- My view: Waste, fraud in education hammering...
- Richard Davis: Who needs to go to the bathroom
- My view: A de-sexed society is a... 65
- Letter: Nothing is 'free' 57
- My view: Mitt Romney's Harry Potter... 43
- Orrin Hatch: My meeting with Supreme... 43
- Richard Davis: Who needs to go to the... 37
- In our opinion: A social media enabled... 22
- Jay Evensen: Like it or not, politics... 22
- In our opinion: Not all economic... 20