In a recent conversation I had with a friend, he told me something startling. It wasn't the content that was startling as much as the fact that so many people agree with what he said. It was: "Sure not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslim."
A report made by the FBI from 1980-2005 stated that only 6 percent of terrorist attacks in the United States were performed by Muslims. So why do we think all terrorists are Muslim? Ask yourself. Do you have a Muslim friend? Is the only Muslim you know the guy on TV shouting death to America?
Having lived in the Middle East I can attest that most of the Muslims are as scared as we are of this less than 1 percent minority. Many things we hold dear, like family and charity are equally important to Muslims. While I lived in the Middle East, strangers would feed me and others would openly cry when I said I was away from family for five months. Muslims also give 2.5 percent of their earnings to charity as a part of their beliefs.
The Muslim people are good people we can learn from. Hate will only create more extremists.
- Jay Evensen: Ask people in the Third World if...
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal benefits of...
- My view: Medical marijuana: Google vs. PubMed
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe?
- My view: Does going to pot send the wrong...
- Rely on invisible hand?
- George F. Will: Break the dentists' hold on...
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography...
- In our opinion: National security and... 79
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 58
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe? 39
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 33
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography... 32
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal... 31
- Letter: Coal and job creation 24