Keith Johnson, Deseret News archives
Too bad more people don't think like Hyrum Anderson (Reader's Forum, "Balancing the budget requires a balanced approach" Aug. 31). I agree with what he is saying. There was an excellent article by Nathan B. Oman ("Without compromise, fixing deficit is a fairy tale," Aug. 31) that really explains why there has to be compromise to fix our nation's deficit.
I think the tea party and their ultra- right, no-compromise way of thinking is what has put our great country in the bad financial position we are in. I watched the Republican Convention and Mitt Romney's speech and find it hard to believe those people think everything wrong with our country is President Barrack Obama's fault.
It is the tea party people who voted "no" to everything, even if they voted for it before when it came up for a vote. In my opinion, these people are not patriots but people who are trying to destroy our country and our way of government.
How can all these people at the convention hold up signs that say "we built it" when Obama was talking about "the roads, bridges and unbelievable American system. Somebody else made that happen" ("Cheap political points," July 21). I guess I miss Ronald Reagan and Bob Bennett and their happy thoughts and their ability to compromise and get things done that are for the good of our great country.
Don C. Cunningham
- Letter: Moral decline
- John Hoffmire: Unknowingly raising another...
- Brian S. Brown: In defending marriage, Utah...
- Ralph Hancock: Society cannot 'progress'...
- My view: Medicaid will sting Beehive State's...
- Robert Bennett: Obama should not move forward...
- In our opinion: Some universities targeting...
- About Utah: High time for a peaceful revival
- Letter: Moral decline 85
- In our opinion: Utah should change law... 81
- Letter: Climate denial 62
- Brian S. Brown: In defending marriage,... 51
- In our opinion: Some universities... 45
- Politico Magazine: If Mitt Romney runs... 44
- Robert Bennett: Obama should not move... 40
- Ralph Hancock: Society cannot... 37