Weber State football: Interim head coach Jody Sears and Wildcats making the most of a tough situation
The Wildcats' coach knows that the Cougars are an excellent ballclub, especially after beating up on a Pac-12 opponent like Washington State last week.
And he knows that playing in a hostile environment in front of BYU's big, loud crowd is a tall task for his team. But he's not about to shy away from what lies ahead for his Weber State squad, and he figures once these first two tough games are behind them, the Wildcats will have an opportunity to find out where they stand in coming weeks with home games against more similar-sized programs like McNeese State and Eastern Washington.
"BYU is big, physical and very well-coached," he said. "They have enough skill to compete with anybody in this country, no question, in my opinion.
They are big and they are physical, and they are very good.
"We don't have to play against the (crowd of) 65,000, but we do have to play against the 11 in blue (jerseys). ... I think the kids are excited to go down there and play in front of that big crowd.
"I'm kind of a glass-half-full guy," Sears said. "You know, whatever. I have to ride that bronc? OK, fine. That's the hand I'm dealt. OK, let's go to work. ... We've just got to stay locked arm-in-arm and keep moving forward. This game can't define our season; it can't define who we are — it may tell us a lot about ourselves, but it can't define us."
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- Doug Robinson: Utah Jazz have come full...
- No timeline set to find Utah Jazz's new head...
- Utah Sports Ruckus: Grading the Jazz's...
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star athletes...
- Deseret News 2014 NFL Mock Draft: Where are...
- Rock On: Lighten up, Gordon Hayward
- High school sports: Tuesday's roundup
- U. student government passes resolution... 105
- Utah Jazz: Tyrone Corbin's contract... 56
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star... 41
- Doug Robinson: Utah Jazz have come full... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 26
- Mike Sorensen: To keep or not to keep... 24
- Speculation begins about who the next... 24
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but... 19