One major difference, however, is an abundance of familiar faces coaching on both sidelines. Besides Andersen, USU's staff includes former Utah offensive coordinator Mike Sanford and graduate assistant Kevin Clune. On the other side of the equation, Utah defensive line coach Chad Kauha'aha'a, fullbacks/tight ends coach Ilaisa Tuiaki and offensive graduate assistant Robert Conley used to work for Andersen at USU.
"I think it's a wash on both counts. There is no advantage either way. It's not a big factor as we create specific game plans week in and week out," Whittingham said. "There is familiarity, yes, but when all is said and done, I don't think it's going to be a factor."
Most played college football rivalries
121 — Minnesota vs. Wisconsin
120 — Kansas vs. Missouri
118 — Texas vs. Texas A&M
117 — Kansas vs. Nebraska
116 — Cincinnati vs. Miami (Ohio)
116 — North Carolina vs. Virginia
115 — Auburn vs. Georgia
115 — Oregon vs. Oregon State
114 — California vs. Stanford
114 — Indiana vs. Purdue
112 — Army vs. Navy
109 — UTAH VS. UTAH STATE
109 — Clemson vs. South Carolina
109 — Kansas vs. Kansas State
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much money...
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass, Cougars'...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- Breaking down UMass, BYU basketball's next...
- BYU football: Cougars have gotten solid...
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 192
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 48
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 44