DON'T CASH OUT RETIREMENT ACCOUNTS: Mihalic withdrew $12,235 from his individual retirement account. But after paying early withdrawal penalties and taxes, he only received a check for $7,953. Mihalic recognizes that it didn't make sense financially, but emotionally it provided more motivation to carry out his plan.
Tapping your retirement account should be an absolute last resort. Mihalic might be able to rebuild his balance because of his high salary, but he still had to pay the steep penalty and is missing the potential compounded earnings of his entire original balance.
Mihalic also stopped contributing to his 401(k), another mistake, especially if your employer is matching your contributions. Always take advantage of an employer match. Don't ever give up free money.
GET A ROOMMATE: If you don't own a home, renting a place with a roommate will help keep housing costs down, says Lauren Lyons Cole, a certified financial planner.
Mihalic rented out two rooms in the three-bedroom house he owns. He hated losing his privacy, but says it was an easy way to bring in more money.
Mihalic has no regrets about the sacrifices he made during the seven months. He's now replenishing his retirement accounts and continues to cut costs. But he's not getting any more roommates. The last one moved out in August.
No longer burdened by student loans, Mihalic plans to use the extra money to start a business one day, or take time off work and travel.
"I've built up a 12 month nest egg," he says. "I can pay my mortgage, fuel, groceries all for the next 12 months."
Such rapid repayment may not be feasible in your situation. But even so, the key bit of advice to take away from Mihalic's story is to put together a plan. Even if you only set aside an extra $10 a week toward your loan, that helps.
Joseph Pisani can be reached at http://twitter.com/josephpisani
- 2 cops in New York City ambushed, fatally...
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,...
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by to watch
- 9 films advance in Oscars shortlist for best...
- 'Hobbit' goes out on top with $90.6 million...
- What people never mention when they talk...
- Christmas 1914: The day even WWI showed humanity
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 32
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,... 16
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 16
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by... 8