BYU football: Quarterback understudy Taysom Hill provides Brandon Doman interesting options
Hill said he was prepared for that situation during fall camp.
"That goes to show the kind of coaching staff we have," he said. "Coach Doman and the other coaches got me ready. They gave me different looks in practice so that when we got to the game, I was comfortable with changing the play and calling an audible, and executing it the way we did. I couldn't have drawn it up any better. We saw it, made a decision, and it worked out, luckily."
The season-opener marked Hill's first football game in three years, since he finished his career at Highland High in Pocatello, Idaho.
"It's been a long time coming," he said. "It was a great way to start a college career."
Right now, Hill is focused on the present, not the future.
"Ultimately, the more I learn, the more I'll help the team. I'm not looking into 2013," he said. "I'm looking at how I can help the team this year. Right now, with this 'wildcat' stuff, that's what I need to do and be comfortable with that. Besides that, I need to learn to be the best quarterback I possibly can."
Cougars, Wildcats on the air
Weber State (0-1) at BYU (1-0)
Saturday, 1 p.m. MT
Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Utah State football: Aggie defense plays...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz continue slide with overtime...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- Utah State football: Aggies will take on No....
- BYU basketball report card: Cougars give...
- Utah State football: Aggies await their bowl...
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 61
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 51
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 36
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass,... 27
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie... 27