High school boys basketball: South Sevier's Race Parsons commits to SUU
South Sevier guard Race Parsons, a two-time 2A MVP for the Deseret News, committed to Southern Utah University today. The senior also had offers from Idaho State and Dixie State.
Parsons has been a three-year starter for South Sevier, and he's guided the Rams to back-to-back 2A state championships.
As a junior last season, he averaged 24.2 points, 7.8 rebounds, 2.2 assists and 1.7 steals per game.
"To average over 24 points per game with that kind of target on his back was pretty impressive. I've had a lot of good players, tough-nosed guards, but Race every single night consistently brings his A game," said South Sevier coach Scott Hunt.
Parsons averaged 21.2 points his sophomore year and 11.1 points his freshman year.
Parsons has scored 1,410 points in his high school career. If he maintains the pace set during his senior season, he should surpass the school record set by his grandfather, Lynn Parsons. The 1965 graduate of South Sevier scored 1,711 career points and went on to play at BYU.
Only five players in state history have scored more than 2,000 career points. The last player to do so was Spanish Fork's Robbie Reid in 1993. Parsons needs 590 points during his upcoming senior season to reach that plateau.
It's worth noting that BYU commit Nick Emery has 1,488 career points heading into his senior season at Lone Peak.
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Live streams: 1A volleyball tournament...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Ranking the starting centers in the NBA from...
- Langi making an impact at linebacker for BYU
- Middle Tennessee excited about home game...
- Utah Jazz get blown out by Dallas 120-102
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 59
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 54
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 49
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 34
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32