High school boys basketball: South Sevier's Race Parsons commits to SUU
South Sevier guard Race Parsons, a two-time 2A MVP for the Deseret News, committed to Southern Utah University today. The senior also had offers from Idaho State and Dixie State.
Parsons has been a three-year starter for South Sevier, and he's guided the Rams to back-to-back 2A state championships.
As a junior last season, he averaged 24.2 points, 7.8 rebounds, 2.2 assists and 1.7 steals per game.
"To average over 24 points per game with that kind of target on his back was pretty impressive. I've had a lot of good players, tough-nosed guards, but Race every single night consistently brings his A game," said South Sevier coach Scott Hunt.
Parsons averaged 21.2 points his sophomore year and 11.1 points his freshman year.
Parsons has scored 1,410 points in his high school career. If he maintains the pace set during his senior season, he should surpass the school record set by his grandfather, Lynn Parsons. The 1965 graduate of South Sevier scored 1,711 career points and went on to play at BYU.
Only five players in state history have scored more than 2,000 career points. The last player to do so was Spanish Fork's Robbie Reid in 1993. Parsons needs 590 points during his upcoming senior season to reach that plateau.
It's worth noting that BYU commit Nick Emery has 1,488 career points heading into his senior season at Lone Peak.
- Ranking the best fits for the Utah Jazz in...
- Ranking the best free agents in the NBA
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to be...
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents may...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for...
- Wasatch Academy basketball coach Geno Morgan...
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 90
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 66
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 52
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 27