High school boys basketball: South Sevier's Race Parsons commits to SUU
South Sevier guard Race Parsons, a two-time 2A MVP for the Deseret News, committed to Southern Utah University today. The senior also had offers from Idaho State and Dixie State.
Parsons has been a three-year starter for South Sevier, and he's guided the Rams to back-to-back 2A state championships.
As a junior last season, he averaged 24.2 points, 7.8 rebounds, 2.2 assists and 1.7 steals per game.
"To average over 24 points per game with that kind of target on his back was pretty impressive. I've had a lot of good players, tough-nosed guards, but Race every single night consistently brings his A game," said South Sevier coach Scott Hunt.
Parsons averaged 21.2 points his sophomore year and 11.1 points his freshman year.
Parsons has scored 1,410 points in his high school career. If he maintains the pace set during his senior season, he should surpass the school record set by his grandfather, Lynn Parsons. The 1965 graduate of South Sevier scored 1,711 career points and went on to play at BYU.
Only five players in state history have scored more than 2,000 career points. The last player to do so was Spanish Fork's Robbie Reid in 1993. Parsons needs 590 points during his upcoming senior season to reach that plateau.
It's worth noting that BYU commit Nick Emery has 1,488 career points heading into his senior season at Lone Peak.
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33