Jae C. Hong, Associated Press
Here are some things to watch for at the Democratic National Convention on Tuesday:
1. THE DISAPPOINTMENT CHARGE: How will the first day's speakers address the Republican assertion that President Barack Obama's first term has been a "disappointment"? Will they tackle the notion head on?
2. THE FIRST LADY: Michelle Obama's main goal is to differentiate her husband from his Republican opponent, but she rarely mentions Mitt Romney by name. She'll wrap things up Tuesday night.
3. LONE STAR: The convention's keynote speaker, San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro, is a rising Democratic star, and some speculate he could become the next governor of Texas — or even the first Hispanic president.
4. ROMNEY, REMOTELY: What will we hear from the newly minted GOP nominee as his rival has a moment in the spotlight? What will the Republicans' "counter-programming" be during the Democratic convention?
5. THE EMPTY CHAIR: Can Democrats capitalize on Clint Eastwood's unusual pop-culture moment last week, or even make political hay out of it? Or would it be smarter to stay away?
- Prepackaged caramel apples linked to 4...
- Hackers warn not to release 'The Interview'...
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there a...
- Theater shooter's parents plead for his life,...
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- Canada man finds an Elizabeth Gallagher for...
- 'Is your job depressing?' Why it's a great...
- Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin has aneurysm
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 32
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- Taliban assault on Pakistan school... 13
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 13
- Utah football's Hackett, Orchard named... 11
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8