Jae C. Hong, Associated Press
Here are some things to watch for at the Democratic National Convention on Tuesday:
1. THE DISAPPOINTMENT CHARGE: How will the first day's speakers address the Republican assertion that President Barack Obama's first term has been a "disappointment"? Will they tackle the notion head on?
2. THE FIRST LADY: Michelle Obama's main goal is to differentiate her husband from his Republican opponent, but she rarely mentions Mitt Romney by name. She'll wrap things up Tuesday night.
3. LONE STAR: The convention's keynote speaker, San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro, is a rising Democratic star, and some speculate he could become the next governor of Texas — or even the first Hispanic president.
4. ROMNEY, REMOTELY: What will we hear from the newly minted GOP nominee as his rival has a moment in the spotlight? What will the Republicans' "counter-programming" be during the Democratic convention?
5. THE EMPTY CHAIR: Can Democrats capitalize on Clint Eastwood's unusual pop-culture moment last week, or even make political hay out of it? Or would it be smarter to stay away?
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land in...
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- US, Arab allies hit IS strongholds in Syria,...
- Where do we draw the line on spanking?
- Prosecutor: 800 rounds found in White House...
- Islamic State group calls for attacking...
- Police say rifle carried by ambush suspect found
- Obama scores coalition victory with Arab strikes
- Islamic State group calls for attacking... 14
- Where do we draw the line on spanking? 13
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land... 11
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 10
- How much America wants to be taxed 10
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 9
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- Obama scores coalition victory with... 9