Jae C. Hong, Associated Press
Here are some things to watch for at the Democratic National Convention on Tuesday:
1. THE DISAPPOINTMENT CHARGE: How will the first day's speakers address the Republican assertion that President Barack Obama's first term has been a "disappointment"? Will they tackle the notion head on?
2. THE FIRST LADY: Michelle Obama's main goal is to differentiate her husband from his Republican opponent, but she rarely mentions Mitt Romney by name. She'll wrap things up Tuesday night.
3. LONE STAR: The convention's keynote speaker, San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro, is a rising Democratic star, and some speculate he could become the next governor of Texas — or even the first Hispanic president.
4. ROMNEY, REMOTELY: What will we hear from the newly minted GOP nominee as his rival has a moment in the spotlight? What will the Republicans' "counter-programming" be during the Democratic convention?
5. THE EMPTY CHAIR: Can Democrats capitalize on Clint Eastwood's unusual pop-culture moment last week, or even make political hay out of it? Or would it be smarter to stay away?
- The 20 most innovative tech hubs in America...
- 17 years later, parents find kidnapped...
- 34 of the best Lemony Snicket quotes
- Couple married 67 years dies holding hands
- Can you name your U.S. Representative? See...
- 'It's been a comedy of errors from the...
- Russia's Nemtsov a possible 'sacrificial...
- Venezuela officials detain, free 4 Christian...
- Defying GOP, Obama vetoes Keystone XL... 51
- FCC approves 'net neutrality' rules for... 26
- Congress OKs 1-week bill to keep... 23
- Clinton says she would push... 16
- Democrats caught between Obama,... 16
- Calling for cooperation, Obama engages... 15
- 'Jihadi John' seen in beheading videos... 13
- Leonard Nimoy, famous as Mr. Spock on... 13