JARED EDWARDS, Hurricane, football: Stuck behind 3A MVP Brian Scott last year, not much was known outside of Hurricane about Edwards' tremendous ability at fullback.
They do now.
Edwards has burst out of Scott's shadow the first three weeks of the high school football season, rushing for 338 yards and 10 touchdowns.
In a 43-34 win over Legacy, Nev., last week, Edwards carried the ball 22 times for 125 yards and five touchdowns. In a 28-14 win over West Jordan the week before, the workhorse back had 33 rushes for 167 yards and four touchdowns.
Edwards was Hurricane's leading tackler at linebacker last year, but he's focused almost exclusively on offense this year.
MACKY TREANOR, Salem Hills, volleyball: Treanor would have been around volleyball all her life anyway, but as fate would have it, she was blessed with the kind of talent and passion for the game that also make her one of the state's best players.
"She was born at the beginning of one of my seasons," said her mom and Salem Hills head coach Kathy Treanor. "She was raised in the gym. She started hitting a balloon when she was 1. The volleyball girls were our family."
Treanor's passion for the game may only be exceeded by her talent.
"She's just a dream athlete," said Kathy. "She helps us in every single part of the game. She's so quick and so versatile, and really she can do anything."
Macky's favorite place to be is on the court, and she's as thrilled with the accomplishments of her teammates as she is with her own success. The senior outside hitter has committed to play for UVU next year.
"I've been really impressed with her," said her mom. "She's really excited for her teammates to do well. She's very vocal, and she loves being out there. She enjoys the game; she enjoys the girls. She enjoys every moment out there."
To nominate a prep athlete of the week, contact prep editor James Edward at email@example.com
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 52
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48