CSPI's DeWaal noted that difference, but added that the issue is more complicated. Some fruits and vegetables can harbor more pesticide residue than others — she listed peaches from Chile as topping a recent testing list. Overall levels have dropped in North American produce over the last decade as farms implemented some new standards addressing child concerns, she said.
"Parents with young children should consider where their produce is coming from," DeWaal said, calling types grown in the U.S. or Canada "a safer bet" for lower pesticide levels.
As for antibiotics, some farms that aren't certified organic have begun selling antibiotic-free meat or hormone-free milk, to address specific consumer demands, noted Bravata. Her own preference is to buy from local farmers in hopes of getting the ripest produce with the least handling.
That kind of mixed approach was evident in a market in the nation's capital Thursday, where Liz Pardue of Washington said she buys organic "partially for environmental reasons." Pardue said she doesn't go out of her way to shop organic, but if she does, it's to buy mostly things that are hard to wash like berries and lettuce.
Michelle Dent of Oxon Hill, Md., said she buys most of her groceries from regular chain stores but gets her fruit from organic markets: "It's fresh; you can really taste it."
Anna Hamadyk of Washington said she buys only organic milk because she has a young son.
"I would love to buy everything organic, but it's just too much money," said Hamadyk, who also shops at local farmers markets.
Associated Press writer Stacy A. Anderson contributed to this report.
EDITOR'S NOTE — Lauran Neergaard covers health and medical issues for The Associated Press in Washington.
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Dad tires of hearing hit 'Frozen' song,...
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- The lone, rough road of single motherhood...
- Mormon grandma from Alpine appears on Food...
- First look at modernized 'Annie' produced by...
- Girls who play with Barbie may not see their...
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are...
- When Satan steals your motherhood 27
- Birth father rights the focus of two... 21
- Girls who play with Barbie may not see... 12
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Our love-hate... 11
- Dad tires of hearing hit 'Frozen' song,... 7
- Doug Robinson: Utah man discovers... 6
- ‘Frozen’ makes history two... 4
- Alzheimer's buddy program pairs... 3