Ronald Reagan had it wrong, the most terrifying words in the English language really are, Im from Hollywood and Im here to help with your acceptance speech.
Note to future Republican presidential nominees: Beware of any movie star who says, What your family friendly campaign needs is for me to get on stage and pretend the president is saying vulgar and obscene things.
As an opening act Thursday night, Clint Eastwood did for the Republican Party what Michael Jordan did for baseball, or what Greece has done to austerity.
At least it gave new meaning to the term, Yielding to the chair.
The Republican National Convention got off to a rocky start when delegates drew lots to see who would break it to Ron Paul that he was not the nominee.
It suddenly dawned on Pauls supporters that this is why they hadnt heard his name in the media in several months.
As the convention approved a rule requiring delegates to support the candidate who won their states preference poll or primary, Ron Paul supporters vowed to stay home rather than vote for Mitt Romney. No word yet on whether they will join the Democrats, a party that would never nominate Romney.
Paul Ryan, the Republican candidate for vice president, voted in favor of the TARP bailout at the start of the recession. Somewhere, former Utah Sen. Bob Bennett is still looking for the license plate number of the truck that hit him in 2010.
The makers of World of Warcraft say players from Iran are being blocked out because of U.S. sanctions. I thought it was because Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was starting to take the game too seriously.
More than 400 earthquakes have been reported in Imperial County, Calif., since Aug. 25. In the city of Brawley, the only people walking a straight line are the drunks.
Jay Evensen is the associate editor of the Deseret News editorial page. Follow him on Twitter @jayevensen.
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test?
- W. Bradford Wilcox: The new progressive...
- In our opinion: Don't 'Army-ize' local police...
- John Hoffmire: To feed the world, we must...
- Letter: Singles solution
- Lois M. Collins: 'She asked for it' subverts...
- Charles Krauthammer: The jihadi logic
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Are...
- My view: Utah, where do you stand on... 96
- W. Bradford Wilcox: The new progressive... 45
- Letter: Bush dilemma 2.0 42
- In our opinion: Don't 'Army-ize' local... 29
- George F. Will: Obama needs Congress to... 27
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test? 27
- In our opinion: How committed are... 26
- John Hoffmire: To feed the world, we... 22