Bingham beats Colorado powerhouse Valor Christian in OT
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SOUTH JORDAN — Bingham overcame a futile start on offense to beat Colorado powerhouse Valor Christian 21-20 in overtime. The Miner faithful rushed the field following Valor Christian's missed two-point conversion during the second overtime possession.
The game was defensive battle until both offenses showed life late in the fourth. With 9:10 remaining, Bingham tied the score up 7-7 on a 1-yard run by quarterback Jantzen Bowles.
Valor Christian responded on the next possession with McCaffrey scoring from 13 yards out to put his team up 14-7 with 6:06 remaining. Bingham crossed midfield on its next possession only to turn the ball over as Marcus Wilson picked off a Coleman Stout pass. The Miner defense held strong, however, forcing the Eagles to punt from their own 20 yard line with just over two minutes remaining, but with a likely long field ahead of them with time running out.
In an unusual turn of events though McCaffrey flubbed his running punt attempt to give Bingham the ball on the Valor Christian 20-yard line with ample opportunity to tie the game. Bingham looked to squander away its late opportunity until Bowles converted a 4th-and-16 situation on a scramble down the sideline. Three plays later Bowles hit Tonga Manu from 1-yard out to put the game into overtime.
Bingham received first possession of overtime and promptly scored on a 23-yard run by running back Tonga Manu. Valor Christian responded with a 6-yard touchdown run by McCaffrey and opted to end the game right there with a two-point conversion. As mentioned, that conversion failed and Bingham came away with an emotional 21-20 win.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 48
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 40
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26