Julio Cortez, AP
OLD BRIDGE, N.J. — A New Jersey supermarket employee opened fire at the closed store as a dozen or more colleagues worked inside, killing two co-workers and himself, a prosecutor said.
The 23-year-old man left a Pathmark in Old Bridge Township around 3:30 a.m. and returned a half-hour later with a handgun and an AK-47 assault rifle, Middlesex County Prosecutor Bruce Kaplan said.
There were 12 to 14 people in the store at the time, Kaplan said. The man fired the rifle at the first workers he saw, killing an 18-year-old woman and a 24-year-old man as other workers hid, he said. At least 16 rounds were fired, some breaking the front windows.
He then killed himself, said Kaplan, who did not release the name of the gunman or the victims. The motive is under investigation.
Police at the scene kept onlookers well away from the store Friday morning. A number of vehicles were in the parking lot outside, along with police vehicles.
The store and its parking lot were closed. Pathmark officials had no immediate comment.
Old Bridge is a bedroom community of about 65,000 just across the Raritan Bay from New York City's Staten Island borough.
New Jersey Transit closed its nearby park-and-ride lot for bus passengers and told riders that they could park in other park-and-ride lots or could ride a rail line.
Associated Press photographer Julio Cortez in Old Bridge and writer Geoff Mulvihill in Trenton, N.J., contributed to this report.
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Africa and...
- Friends, family of Dallas Ebola patient reach...
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign of split
- Ana turns into hurricane off the coast of Hawaii
- Some 60 head of cattle shot in Nevada spree;...
- Can public officials refuse to perform...
- CDC to revise Ebola protocol, Pentagon preps...
- 3 Ohioans now quarantined after Ebola nurse...
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 68
- Houston subpoenas sermons in battle... 32
- Budget deficit drops to $483B, lowest... 26
- Official: 2nd worker isolated within 90... 21
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 21
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 16
- Are teachers getting behind Common... 15
- Gay marriage becomes legal in Arizona,... 14