The Buckeyes have just eight seniors listed on their two-deep roster — and 14 freshmen. No wonder there are a lot of questions fluttering around Meyer's first edition.
He categorizes the talent level as just "OK" at Ohio State compared to what he was used to at Florida. Meyer has been critical of the play of the wide receivers and, to a lesser degree, linebackers. He recognizes those positions will be a bellwether of how far and how fast the Buckeyes rise from the depths of 2011.
"I feel that everybody has bought in to coach Meyer," linebacker Ryan Shazier said. "With everybody adjusting to (the coaching change), I think we're going to have a really good season."
Ohio State's NCAA violations resulted in, among other things, the forced resignation of coach Jim Tressel along with restrictions on recruiting, vacating the 2010 season and a bowl ban after this season.
Meyer may mention the things that went wrong before he arrived, but the bowl ban isn't talked about.
"At some point that's going to have to be addressed. Now is not the time," he said. "There is no conversation about week 13, week 14, week 15 and Christmas break — what do we do?"
Right now, he has enough to do just to prepare for a game, his first since retiring after leading Florida to a 37-24 win over Joe Paterno-led Penn State in the Outback Bowl on Jan. 1, 2011 to complete an 8-5 season.
"It's full metal jacket (time) just to get to Saturday. And we're not ready," he said. "That's the cool thing, our guys know that. But they're getting ready."
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- What are the chances? Breaking down NBA...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16