The Buckeyes have just eight seniors listed on their two-deep roster — and 14 freshmen. No wonder there are a lot of questions fluttering around Meyer's first edition.
He categorizes the talent level as just "OK" at Ohio State compared to what he was used to at Florida. Meyer has been critical of the play of the wide receivers and, to a lesser degree, linebackers. He recognizes those positions will be a bellwether of how far and how fast the Buckeyes rise from the depths of 2011.
"I feel that everybody has bought in to coach Meyer," linebacker Ryan Shazier said. "With everybody adjusting to (the coaching change), I think we're going to have a really good season."
Ohio State's NCAA violations resulted in, among other things, the forced resignation of coach Jim Tressel along with restrictions on recruiting, vacating the 2010 season and a bowl ban after this season.
Meyer may mention the things that went wrong before he arrived, but the bowl ban isn't talked about.
"At some point that's going to have to be addressed. Now is not the time," he said. "There is no conversation about week 13, week 14, week 15 and Christmas break — what do we do?"
Right now, he has enough to do just to prepare for a game, his first since retiring after leading Florida to a 37-24 win over Joe Paterno-led Penn State in the Outback Bowl on Jan. 1, 2011 to complete an 8-5 season.
"It's full metal jacket (time) just to get to Saturday. And we're not ready," he said. "That's the cool thing, our guys know that. But they're getting ready."
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Hodgson leaves job on humiliating night for...
- Lindros' wait over as he headlines Hockey...
- Pat Summitt, winningest coach in D1 history,...
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 79
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 66
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback?... 24
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 22