The Buckeyes have just eight seniors listed on their two-deep roster — and 14 freshmen. No wonder there are a lot of questions fluttering around Meyer's first edition.
He categorizes the talent level as just "OK" at Ohio State compared to what he was used to at Florida. Meyer has been critical of the play of the wide receivers and, to a lesser degree, linebackers. He recognizes those positions will be a bellwether of how far and how fast the Buckeyes rise from the depths of 2011.
"I feel that everybody has bought in to coach Meyer," linebacker Ryan Shazier said. "With everybody adjusting to (the coaching change), I think we're going to have a really good season."
Ohio State's NCAA violations resulted in, among other things, the forced resignation of coach Jim Tressel along with restrictions on recruiting, vacating the 2010 season and a bowl ban after this season.
Meyer may mention the things that went wrong before he arrived, but the bowl ban isn't talked about.
"At some point that's going to have to be addressed. Now is not the time," he said. "There is no conversation about week 13, week 14, week 15 and Christmas break — what do we do?"
Right now, he has enough to do just to prepare for a game, his first since retiring after leading Florida to a 37-24 win over Joe Paterno-led Penn State in the Outback Bowl on Jan. 1, 2011 to complete an 8-5 season.
"It's full metal jacket (time) just to get to Saturday. And we're not ready," he said. "That's the cool thing, our guys know that. But they're getting ready."
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 65
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 40
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20