Evan Vucci, Associated Press
Here are some things to watch for at the Republican National Convention Thursday:
1. MITT'S BIG NIGHT: Mitt Romney makes his case to the nation about why he should be elected president — and why he thinks President Barack Obama should be sent packing. The speech could set the tone of Romney's campaign for the final two months.
1. ROMNEY'S FAITH: Mitt Romney's Mormon religion, a subject he hasn't frequently addressed on the campaign trail, will get some attention as several members of Romney's church are scheduled to share personal stories about the nominee at the convention. Romney is also expected to touch on his faith in his speech.
1. ISAAC'S AFTERMATH: Hurricane Isaac has been downgraded but the slow-moving storm is expected to bring days of unending rain to parts of the Gulf Coast region. Convention speakers have been making periodic pleas for prayers and donations to the Red Cross. Expect more as the cleanup begins.
1. RUBIO'S MOMENT: Sen. Marco Rubio is a rising star in the Republican Party, a Cuban-American who was once considered a front-runner to be Mitt Romney's pick for vice president. He gets an opportunity to make his mark in a prime-time speech.
1. REMEMBER NEWT? Newt Gingrich, who called Mitt Romney a liar during the primaries for attacks on his record, wasn't expected to speak at the convention. But he and wife, Callista, are to deliver remarks early in the evening.
- It's not just young people — seniors...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- 'Maze Runner' races past 'Tombstones' with...
- White House intruder identified as Army...
- Ex-stepson: White House intruder meant no harm
- Secret Service boosts security outside White...
- Tense hunt in trooper ambush case hits 8 days
- Who wins Senate control? Nov. 4 might not decide
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 20
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 9
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 6
- It's not just young people —... 6
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5