Evan Vucci, Associated Press
Here are some things to watch for at the Republican National Convention Thursday:
1. MITT'S BIG NIGHT: Mitt Romney makes his case to the nation about why he should be elected president — and why he thinks President Barack Obama should be sent packing. The speech could set the tone of Romney's campaign for the final two months.
1. ROMNEY'S FAITH: Mitt Romney's Mormon religion, a subject he hasn't frequently addressed on the campaign trail, will get some attention as several members of Romney's church are scheduled to share personal stories about the nominee at the convention. Romney is also expected to touch on his faith in his speech.
1. ISAAC'S AFTERMATH: Hurricane Isaac has been downgraded but the slow-moving storm is expected to bring days of unending rain to parts of the Gulf Coast region. Convention speakers have been making periodic pleas for prayers and donations to the Red Cross. Expect more as the cleanup begins.
1. RUBIO'S MOMENT: Sen. Marco Rubio is a rising star in the Republican Party, a Cuban-American who was once considered a front-runner to be Mitt Romney's pick for vice president. He gets an opportunity to make his mark in a prime-time speech.
1. REMEMBER NEWT? Newt Gingrich, who called Mitt Romney a liar during the primaries for attacks on his record, wasn't expected to speak at the convention. But he and wife, Callista, are to deliver remarks early in the evening.
- Winners and losers under Obama's immigration...
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal...
- 37 homes collapse, dozens injured in...
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- Obama immigration plan good, not great for...
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring, Elder L....
- Ice snarls Michigan roadways, airport runways
- A GDP showdown: How do state GDP numbers line...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 65
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 55
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 34
- Obama to announce immigration action... 30
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 22
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal... 18
- President Obama's immigration speech... 14
- Boehner: 'We will not stand idle' on... 14