Remarks by Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker at the Republican National Convention
Charlie Neibergall, AP
TAMPA, Fla. — Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin, who took on reforms in his state and weathered a recall election in June, celebrated reform during his speech at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla., Tuesday night.
After his election in 2010, Walker came to office and instituted a series of reforms that reduced public sector unions' collective bargaining powers. Despite massive protests in Madison and Democratic senators who fled to avoid voting on the proposal, Walker's reforms passed and have saved his state as much as a billion dollars.
Reforms improved the economic climate in Wisconsin, Walker said, and reforms that put the taxpayers in charge are needed on a federal level.
Mitt Romney turned around businesses in the private sector, but his selection of Paul Ryan as his running mate showed that Romney has the experience and skills to become president, Walker said.
"He showed the 'R' next to his name doesn't just stand for Republican, it stands for 'Reformer,'" Walker said. "Now, more than ever, we need reformers."
Walker said that with the coming anniversary of the federal constitution, it can stand as a reminder of what makes America great. What makes the country exceptional, he said, is that in moments of crisis, men and women of courage emerge who think more about the future of their children and grandchildren than they do about their next election.
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Scholarship lotteries, popular with everyone,...
- Top 15 states for education
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt list,...
- Wearing this one thing can help boost a...
- US tobacco growers brace for tougher competition
- Striking or spanking a child is not a...
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a threat to...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 68
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Obama 'confident' of Islamic State... 19
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 14
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 12
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 12
- US won't rule out working with Iran... 6