Remarks by Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker at the Republican National Convention
Charlie Neibergall, AP
TAMPA, Fla. — Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin, who took on reforms in his state and weathered a recall election in June, celebrated reform during his speech at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla., Tuesday night.
After his election in 2010, Walker came to office and instituted a series of reforms that reduced public sector unions' collective bargaining powers. Despite massive protests in Madison and Democratic senators who fled to avoid voting on the proposal, Walker's reforms passed and have saved his state as much as a billion dollars.
Reforms improved the economic climate in Wisconsin, Walker said, and reforms that put the taxpayers in charge are needed on a federal level.
Mitt Romney turned around businesses in the private sector, but his selection of Paul Ryan as his running mate showed that Romney has the experience and skills to become president, Walker said.
"He showed the 'R' next to his name doesn't just stand for Republican, it stands for 'Reformer,'" Walker said. "Now, more than ever, we need reformers."
Walker said that with the coming anniversary of the federal constitution, it can stand as a reminder of what makes America great. What makes the country exceptional, he said, is that in moments of crisis, men and women of courage emerge who think more about the future of their children and grandchildren than they do about their next election.
- Victim of sexual abuse sues Boy Scouts of...
- Denver police shoot, kill teen who struck...
- Most K-12 students are now low income
- Private wells in California farm area show...
- California bars judges from Boy Scouts...
- Storm unleashes blizzard conditions on parts...
- Residents want charges for Denver officers...
- Chess in schools: bringing the classic mind...
- California bars judges from Boy Scouts... 91
- Kerry: Violent extremism is not Islamic 29
- Measles outbreak casts spotlight on... 20
- Victim of sexual abuse sues Boy Scouts... 19
- Idaho has 22 breeding wolf pairs, an... 13
- Some Republican presidential hopefuls... 12
- 'Potentially historic' blizzard... 11
- VP Joe Biden: More access to higher ed... 10