Remarks by Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker at the Republican National Convention
Charlie Neibergall, AP
TAMPA, Fla. — Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin, who took on reforms in his state and weathered a recall election in June, celebrated reform during his speech at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla., Tuesday night.
After his election in 2010, Walker came to office and instituted a series of reforms that reduced public sector unions' collective bargaining powers. Despite massive protests in Madison and Democratic senators who fled to avoid voting on the proposal, Walker's reforms passed and have saved his state as much as a billion dollars.
Reforms improved the economic climate in Wisconsin, Walker said, and reforms that put the taxpayers in charge are needed on a federal level.
Mitt Romney turned around businesses in the private sector, but his selection of Paul Ryan as his running mate showed that Romney has the experience and skills to become president, Walker said.
"He showed the 'R' next to his name doesn't just stand for Republican, it stands for 'Reformer,'" Walker said. "Now, more than ever, we need reformers."
Walker said that with the coming anniversary of the federal constitution, it can stand as a reminder of what makes America great. What makes the country exceptional, he said, is that in moments of crisis, men and women of courage emerge who think more about the future of their children and grandchildren than they do about their next election.
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Romney casts Arkansas race as way to fight Obama
- US diplomats barred from ice bucket challenge
- A tough label to chew on: What does...
- Twitter tries to block images of James Foley...
- Federal judge: Florida gay-marriage ban...
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S....
- Israeli airstrike kills 3 senior Hamas leaders
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 108
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 26
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S.... 26
- Police, protesters collide again in... 25
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered... 23
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 17
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 14
- Another American hostage at risk by... 12