Remarks by RNC Chairman Reince Priebus at the Republican National Convention
J. Scott Applewhite, Associated Press
TAMPA, Fla. — The last four years have been trying and troubling for the United States and it's time for a new course, Chairman of the Republican National Committee Reince Priebus said Tuesday night at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla.
Priebus began his speech Tuesday by praising Mitt Romney as a family man and a business man who saved the Olympics in 2002 and cut taxes and created jobs as the governor of Massachusetts.
A true leader is humble and focused on getting the job done, Priebus said, and that's who Romney is. He also praised Paul Ryan, Romney's choice for vice president, saying he is a man of "true integrity" who doesn't descend into "gutter politics."
Besides, Priebus joked, "Won't it be nice to have a second-in-command who can spend his days doing more than just prying his foot out of his mouth?"
With 23 million Americans out of work, 42 months of unemployment over 8 percent and the worst jobs situation since the Great Depression, it's time to elect Mitt Romney so we can get moving on the great American comeback, Priebus said.
"No parent in America, Democrat or Republican, wants the negative glass-empty view of America that President Obama is trying to sell," Priebus said. "Four years ago Obama was an unproven leader. Today, he's proven himself. He's proven that he's not up for the job.
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- Rubber chickens, afros and clowns: A look at...
- 35 arrested in Oakland after protest march
- These two things are helping California's...
- In Britain, US turkey dinner is big for business
- Evangelicals with gay children challenging...
- Ferguson protesters across US peaceful,...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 70
- Grand jury won't indict Ferguson cop in... 30
- Obama: Americans want 'new car smell'... 29
- Ferguson businesses torched in... 17
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as... 15
- Obama immigration plan good, not great... 13
- Obama heads to Chicago to pitch... 13
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest... 12