Remarks by RNC Chairman Reince Priebus at the Republican National Convention
J. Scott Applewhite, Associated Press
TAMPA, Fla. — The last four years have been trying and troubling for the United States and it's time for a new course, Chairman of the Republican National Committee Reince Priebus said Tuesday night at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla.
Priebus began his speech Tuesday by praising Mitt Romney as a family man and a business man who saved the Olympics in 2002 and cut taxes and created jobs as the governor of Massachusetts.
A true leader is humble and focused on getting the job done, Priebus said, and that's who Romney is. He also praised Paul Ryan, Romney's choice for vice president, saying he is a man of "true integrity" who doesn't descend into "gutter politics."
Besides, Priebus joked, "Won't it be nice to have a second-in-command who can spend his days doing more than just prying his foot out of his mouth?"
With 23 million Americans out of work, 42 months of unemployment over 8 percent and the worst jobs situation since the Great Depression, it's time to elect Mitt Romney so we can get moving on the great American comeback, Priebus said.
"No parent in America, Democrat or Republican, wants the negative glass-empty view of America that President Obama is trying to sell," Priebus said. "Four years ago Obama was an unproven leader. Today, he's proven himself. He's proven that he's not up for the job.
- ACT scores, 2015: A breakdown of each state,...
- The 25 most educated cities in America: Where...
- Poll: Utahns would take Donald Trump over...
- Fired reporter kills 2 former co-workers on...
- KUTV back on DISH Network; KSL still dark on...
- Trump says he's proud he booted Univision's...
- Walmart to cease sales of semiautomatic rifles
- GOP presidential candidate Rand Paul to hold...
- Poll: Utahns would take Donald Trump... 75
- Trump starts new media feud with... 36
- What keeps teachers from staying in the... 34
- GOP presidential candidate Jeb Bush has... 28
- USC's Steve Sarkisian apologizes for... 17
- Trump says he's proud he booted... 16
- US stocks pare losses after 1,000-point... 15
- Fired reporter kills 2 former... 15