Remarks by RNC Chairman Reince Priebus at the Republican National Convention
J. Scott Applewhite, Associated Press
TAMPA, Fla. — The last four years have been trying and troubling for the United States and it's time for a new course, Chairman of the Republican National Committee Reince Priebus said Tuesday night at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla.
Priebus began his speech Tuesday by praising Mitt Romney as a family man and a business man who saved the Olympics in 2002 and cut taxes and created jobs as the governor of Massachusetts.
A true leader is humble and focused on getting the job done, Priebus said, and that's who Romney is. He also praised Paul Ryan, Romney's choice for vice president, saying he is a man of "true integrity" who doesn't descend into "gutter politics."
Besides, Priebus joked, "Won't it be nice to have a second-in-command who can spend his days doing more than just prying his foot out of his mouth?"
With 23 million Americans out of work, 42 months of unemployment over 8 percent and the worst jobs situation since the Great Depression, it's time to elect Mitt Romney so we can get moving on the great American comeback, Priebus said.
"No parent in America, Democrat or Republican, wants the negative glass-empty view of America that President Obama is trying to sell," Priebus said. "Four years ago Obama was an unproven leader. Today, he's proven himself. He's proven that he's not up for the job.
- Photos: UCLA wades through damage caused by...
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the time'
- Child sex trafficking bust reveals worries...
- Probe exposes flaws behind HealthCare.gov...
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias...
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit against Obama
- GOP-led House approves lawsuit against Obama
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should offer...
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 45
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 44
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 27
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 24
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias... 22
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 18
- GOP-led House approves lawsuit against... 14