Remarks by RNC Chairman Reince Priebus at the Republican National Convention
J. Scott Applewhite, Associated Press
TAMPA, Fla. — The last four years have been trying and troubling for the United States and it's time for a new course, Chairman of the Republican National Committee Reince Priebus said Tuesday night at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla.
Priebus began his speech Tuesday by praising Mitt Romney as a family man and a business man who saved the Olympics in 2002 and cut taxes and created jobs as the governor of Massachusetts.
A true leader is humble and focused on getting the job done, Priebus said, and that's who Romney is. He also praised Paul Ryan, Romney's choice for vice president, saying he is a man of "true integrity" who doesn't descend into "gutter politics."
Besides, Priebus joked, "Won't it be nice to have a second-in-command who can spend his days doing more than just prying his foot out of his mouth?"
With 23 million Americans out of work, 42 months of unemployment over 8 percent and the worst jobs situation since the Great Depression, it's time to elect Mitt Romney so we can get moving on the great American comeback, Priebus said.
"No parent in America, Democrat or Republican, wants the negative glass-empty view of America that President Obama is trying to sell," Priebus said. "Four years ago Obama was an unproven leader. Today, he's proven himself. He's proven that he's not up for the job.
- Former GOP nominee Romney will not run for...
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay marriage...
- List: 10 Super Bowl ads you'll be talking about
- Mitt Romney to update supporters on 2016...
- Worker who saw victim's body testifies at...
- After 150 years, Confederate submarine's hull...
- Mitt Romney courts middle class, jabs Hillary...
- Child grooms of Nepal are married off as...
- Former GOP nominee Romney will not run... 68
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay... 52
- Mitt Romney courts middle class, jabs... 40
- Victim of sexual abuse sues Boy Scouts... 20
- Attorney General nominee picks up... 14
- 'Potentially historic' blizzard... 13
- Denver police shoot, kill teen who... 13
- Some Republican presidential hopefuls... 12