Remarks by RNC Chairman Reince Priebus at the Republican National Convention
J. Scott Applewhite, Associated Press
TAMPA, Fla. — The last four years have been trying and troubling for the United States and it's time for a new course, Chairman of the Republican National Committee Reince Priebus said Tuesday night at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla.
Priebus began his speech Tuesday by praising Mitt Romney as a family man and a business man who saved the Olympics in 2002 and cut taxes and created jobs as the governor of Massachusetts.
A true leader is humble and focused on getting the job done, Priebus said, and that's who Romney is. He also praised Paul Ryan, Romney's choice for vice president, saying he is a man of "true integrity" who doesn't descend into "gutter politics."
Besides, Priebus joked, "Won't it be nice to have a second-in-command who can spend his days doing more than just prying his foot out of his mouth?"
With 23 million Americans out of work, 42 months of unemployment over 8 percent and the worst jobs situation since the Great Depression, it's time to elect Mitt Romney so we can get moving on the great American comeback, Priebus said.
"No parent in America, Democrat or Republican, wants the negative glass-empty view of America that President Obama is trying to sell," Priebus said. "Four years ago Obama was an unproven leader. Today, he's proven himself. He's proven that he's not up for the job.
- NORAD 'tracks' Santa's journey across globe
- Officer kills armed 18-year-old near Ferguson
- Women excised from public life, abused by IS
- Key developments in the case of slain NYPD...
- Severe storms slam the South, killing at least 4
- Wal-Mart tests gift card exchange
- Sony broadly releases 'The Interview' in...
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,... 17
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by... 15
- Going it alone, Obama rocked the boat... 13
- Key developments in the case of slain... 9
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican... 8
- Officer kills armed 18-year-old near... 8
- Killings of 2 New York officers trigger... 6
- Senate, CIA agree torture program was... 6