Remarks by Rep. Jason Chaffetz at the 2012 Republican National Convention
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
Following are remarks by Rep. Jason Chaffetz delivered at the 2012 Republican National Convention:
"America is in trouble. If you spent $1 million every day, it would take you almost 3,000 years to get to $1 trillion.
"We are now nearly $16 trillion in debt. Each day we pay more than $600 million in interest on that debt — and we deficit spend $3 billion a day.
"Excessive regulations choke businesses. Our tax code punishes success, discourages entrepreneurs, and stifles growth.
"President Obama's solution: more government and more taxes.
"This isn't the American dream. Our nation isn't just one good tax increase away from prosperity.
"American success hasn't come from czars, 'Cash for Clunkers,' endless bailouts, a limitless government credit card, or more taxes for more government.
"The American dream was built on the sweat and blood of Americans who took pride and personal ownership in themselves and their country.
"When times were tough, generations before quietly rolled up their sleeves and built a stronger, more prosperous nation. The government didn't build it. They built it.
"America was built with hard work, dedication to principles, and a belief that success was predicated on liberty and ownership.
"Restoring the American dream will require fiscal discipline, limited government, accountability, and a strong national defense.
"We need to make tough choices. We need leadership.
"We need to elect Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan.
"We need to believe in America again.
- Obama OKs federal aid for West Virginia; at...
- Officials: California wildfire destroys 200...
- Trump camp scrambles to shape up before GOP...
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- At least 7 stabbed at protest outside...
- BET Awards full of Prince tributes and...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Asian stocks mixed as markets await Brexit...
- House Republicans' report faults Obama... 54
- The pro-life plan that could reverse... 38
- Did Trump really just become a... 37
- Big ruling for abortion rights in... 36
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 35
- Final Benghazi report: No 'smoking gun'... 31
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Trump gets rock-bottom ratings in... 27