Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
Following are remarks by Rep. Jason Chaffetz delivered at the 2012 Republican National Convention:
"America is in trouble. If you spent $1 million every day, it would take you almost 3,000 years to get to $1 trillion.
"We are now nearly $16 trillion in debt. Each day we pay more than $600 million in interest on that debt — and we deficit spend $3 billion a day.
"Excessive regulations choke businesses. Our tax code punishes success, discourages entrepreneurs, and stifles growth.
"President Obama's solution: more government and more taxes.
"This isn't the American dream. Our nation isn't just one good tax increase away from prosperity.
"American success hasn't come from czars, 'Cash for Clunkers,' endless bailouts, a limitless government credit card, or more taxes for more government.
"The American dream was built on the sweat and blood of Americans who took pride and personal ownership in themselves and their country.
"When times were tough, generations before quietly rolled up their sleeves and built a stronger, more prosperous nation. The government didn't build it. They built it.
"America was built with hard work, dedication to principles, and a belief that success was predicated on liberty and ownership.
"Restoring the American dream will require fiscal discipline, limited government, accountability, and a strong national defense.
"We need to make tough choices. We need leadership.
"We need to elect Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan.
"We need to believe in America again.
- Defending the Faith: A case for the...
- Abercrombie & Fitch CEO posts statement on...
- Boy Scouts open membership to all boys,...
- Brave woman tried to reason with London...
- One third of millenials regret going to college
- Stories behind viral Oklahoma tragedy photos...
- Tornado relief spurs LDS Church, Layton's...
- Facts about the Boy Scouts of America
- Defending the Faith: A case for the... 44
- Journalists criticize Obama... 38
- Associated Press CEO calls records... 23
- IRS official Lerner invokes Fifth... 22
- Former IRS chief to Congress: Can't say... 21
- More Obama aides knew IRS targeted... 19
- Supreme Court to weigh in on... 17
- IRS role in Obamacare adds deeper layer... 16