Dear Jeanne: I had this at a baby shower and asked for the recipe. It was very good, but I was surprised by how much fat there is. Can you lighten it?
— Jessica, Peoria, Ariz.
Dear Jessica: These squares are very good, and now they are quite light!
Jeanne Jones is the author of 33 cookbooks, most recently "Cooking From the Cupboard" (Rodale Press). For more information, you can go to her website, jeannejones.com.
Send your recipe for revision to:
Cook It Light
P.O. Box 1212
La Jolla, CA 92038
Please include a stamped (61 cents), self-addressed envelope.
© King Features Syndicate Inc.
GREEN CHILI-CHEESE SQUARES
1/2 cup melted butter or margarine
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 can (8 ounces) green chilies
2 cups cottage cheese
1/2 pound cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese, grated
In a large bowl, mix together the butter, flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs well and add the chilies, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese and Monterey jack cheese. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and combine thoroughly. Put in a greased 9-by-13-inch pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Turn the temperature down to 350 degrees, and bake for an additional 40 minutes.
Makes 20 servings.
LIGHT-AND-TASTY GREEN CHILI-CHEESE SQUARES
8 egg whites
1 tablespoon olive oil cups
2 cups (16 ounces) low-fat cottage cheese
1 cup (4 ounces) grated reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup (4 ounces) grated reduced-fat Monterey Jack
1 can (7 ounces) diced green chilies
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Spray a 9-by-13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and egg whites with the olive oil. Add the cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese and green chilies, and mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and combine thoroughly.
4. Pour into the prepared pan, place in the preheated oven and bake for about 40 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
Makes 20 servings.
Each serving contains approximately: Original Recipe: 196 calories; 14 gm fat; 130 mg cholesterol; 461 mg sodium; 4 gm carbohydrates; 12 gm protein; trace fiber. Revised Recipe: 79 calories; 3 gm fat; 42 mg cholesterol; 295 mg sodium; 4 gm carbohydrates; 9 gm protein; negligible fiber.
- 9 Mormon moments in Sundance Film Festival...
- Streamlined FanX event is a win for Salt Lake...
- Cumberbatch, Fry, others urge UK to pardon...
- List: 10 Super Bowl ads you'll be talking about
- Pay Dirt is an immersive board game about...
- First lady defends 'American Sniper' at...
- From the Homefront: The good game: video...
- Hollywood has reboot fever!