High school volleyball: Davis still looks like team to beat in 5A
Pleasant Grove was voted No. 3 and returns Melissa Fuchs, Rachel Gale and Delayne Daniel, all of whom promise to make the team a contender.
"With returning experience and dedication, we look to have a very successful year in region and state," said head coach Allyce Jones.
Davis may have the edge in Region 1, but two of the three matches the Darts lost last season were in region play. Layton was picked as the state's fifth-best team and has been solid year after year.
Fremont could be in the mix, as well, with returning starters Sariah Pelaez, Sierra Green and Rachel Nish.
"We lost three senior starters and a starting middle (to injury) so it may take some time to find our feet," said head coach Brock Mitchell. "We do have some talented athletes filling those roles and in the end should be very competitive."
In Region 3, Taylorsville, which will rely on a lot of young players this season as it graduated most of its varsity starters, earned the top spot. The Warriors will no doubt have a lot of competition from Viewmont and Hunter, as well as Kearns.
Brighton was voted the top team in Region 2, and with two returning varsity starters in outside hitters Mandy Taft and Manda Thomas, should compete for the region title. Jordan and Alta should be tough, as well, and Copper Hills, under the direction of a new coach, is off to one of the best starts in recent memory.
Preseason rankings (based on coaches' votes)
2. Lone Peak
3. Pleasant Grove
4. West Jordan
6. Copper Hills
1. Lone Peak
2. Pleasant Grove
6. American Fork
1. Salem Hills
5. Sky View
1. Sky View
2. Box Elder
3. Mtn. Crest
2. Woods Cross
1. Salem Hills
3. Maple Mountain
7. Mountain View
- Jim McMahon: 37 years later, former BYU star...
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big part...
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- BYU confirms Jim McMahon will be inducted...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have...
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will not go...
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 136
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 95
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 76
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 53
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48