High school volleyball: Davis still looks like team to beat in 5A
Pleasant Grove was voted No. 3 and returns Melissa Fuchs, Rachel Gale and Delayne Daniel, all of whom promise to make the team a contender.
"With returning experience and dedication, we look to have a very successful year in region and state," said head coach Allyce Jones.
Davis may have the edge in Region 1, but two of the three matches the Darts lost last season were in region play. Layton was picked as the state's fifth-best team and has been solid year after year.
Fremont could be in the mix, as well, with returning starters Sariah Pelaez, Sierra Green and Rachel Nish.
"We lost three senior starters and a starting middle (to injury) so it may take some time to find our feet," said head coach Brock Mitchell. "We do have some talented athletes filling those roles and in the end should be very competitive."
In Region 3, Taylorsville, which will rely on a lot of young players this season as it graduated most of its varsity starters, earned the top spot. The Warriors will no doubt have a lot of competition from Viewmont and Hunter, as well as Kearns.
Brighton was voted the top team in Region 2, and with two returning varsity starters in outside hitters Mandy Taft and Manda Thomas, should compete for the region title. Jordan and Alta should be tough, as well, and Copper Hills, under the direction of a new coach, is off to one of the best starts in recent memory.
Preseason rankings (based on coaches' votes)
2. Lone Peak
3. Pleasant Grove
4. West Jordan
6. Copper Hills
1. Lone Peak
2. Pleasant Grove
6. American Fork
1. Salem Hills
5. Sky View
1. Sky View
2. Box Elder
3. Mtn. Crest
2. Woods Cross
1. Salem Hills
3. Maple Mountain
7. Mountain View
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 281
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 67
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 52
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 30