SUU football: Ex-Ute Griff McNabb adds some excitement to Thunderbird roster
CEDAR CITY — Southern Utah inherited an explosive playmaker when former University of Utah punt specialist, Griff McNabb, announced his intentions to transfer to Cedar City in early June.
McNabb, who ranked second in the Pac-12 in punt returns with 7.5 yards per return, saw action with the Utes in 12 games and positioned the game-tying touchdown in the Sun Bowl against Georgia Tech with a 31-yard return.
"Griff makes everything look easy, he has a super high skill level," Southern Utah coach Ed Lamb said. "He picks up the ball out of the quarterback hands' really early. Consequently, he's become a favorite target of (quarterback) Brad (Sorensen) already."
Only standing 5-foot-7 and 165-pounds, the speedy-get-up-and-go junior's impact was immediately felt in the final scrimmage before the opener against Utah State on Thursday when he returned a 67-yard punt for a touchdown.
Thunderbird fans should expect big things from McNabb in the first year in the Big Sky both offensively as a receiver and in the return game on special teams.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- BYU coach Shawn Olmstead provided calming...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 24