SUU football: Ex-Ute Griff McNabb adds some excitement to Thunderbird roster
CEDAR CITY — Southern Utah inherited an explosive playmaker when former University of Utah punt specialist, Griff McNabb, announced his intentions to transfer to Cedar City in early June.
McNabb, who ranked second in the Pac-12 in punt returns with 7.5 yards per return, saw action with the Utes in 12 games and positioned the game-tying touchdown in the Sun Bowl against Georgia Tech with a 31-yard return.
"Griff makes everything look easy, he has a super high skill level," Southern Utah coach Ed Lamb said. "He picks up the ball out of the quarterback hands' really early. Consequently, he's become a favorite target of (quarterback) Brad (Sorensen) already."
Only standing 5-foot-7 and 165-pounds, the speedy-get-up-and-go junior's impact was immediately felt in the final scrimmage before the opener against Utah State on Thursday when he returned a 67-yard punt for a touchdown.
Thunderbird fans should expect big things from McNabb in the first year in the Big Sky both offensively as a receiver and in the return game on special teams.
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 95
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 76
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 48
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 42
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 28
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26