Here are some things to watch for at the GOP convention Monday:
1. WHEN THE RAINS CAME: Tropical Storm Isaac was on course to pass west of the convention city of Tampa, Fla., and instead was targeting a broad swatch of the Gulf Coast, including New Orleans. Flood warnings, wind, rain and thunderstorms were in Tampa's weather forecast for the week.
2. WAIT 'TIL TUESDAY: Republicans announce a leaner convention schedule to begin Tuesday — after canceling all events Monday except for a symbolic, 10-minute opening because of the approaching storm. How will a town full of eager delegates spend the day now?
3. NO BIDEN: Florida does without the nation's current vice president on Monday. Joe Biden scrapped a campaign swing through the state on account of the storm.
4. LOGISTICAL RESHUFFLINGS: Even with no formal convention events, lots of GOP luncheons and engagements are scheduled — and some are being relocated to accommodate possible inclement weather. Among the displaced happenings: a breakfast with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, and a brunch with former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and House Speaker John Boehner.
5. AND AN EXTRA DAY OF ANTICIPATION: Convention delayed will not be convention denied, say some enthusiastic participants. "We're ready to blow the roofs off on Tuesday night," says Mitch Zak, media director for California's GOP delegation.
- For the first time in American history,...
- A New York Times article said Michael Brown...
- Amish country bristles at ‘Mafia’...
- You'll never believe where your bottled water...
- Doug Robinson: When did Missouri turn into...
- Why the poverty cycle is harder to break than...
- Napa earthquake hastens calls for warning system
- Ebola has 'upper hand,' says US official
- For the first time in American history,... 27
- Obama faces tough options in Iraq and... 23
- Obama administration announces new... 19
- Doug Robinson: When did Missouri turn... 17
- Rev. Al Sharpton plays prominent role... 15
- Huckabee: 'Stop the fight' over Common... 14
- Obama back at White House after summer... 14
- Mourners gather in St. Louis for Brown... 13