Here are some things to watch for at the GOP convention Monday:
1. WHEN THE RAINS CAME: Tropical Storm Isaac was on course to pass west of the convention city of Tampa, Fla., and instead was targeting a broad swatch of the Gulf Coast, including New Orleans. Flood warnings, wind, rain and thunderstorms were in Tampa's weather forecast for the week.
2. WAIT 'TIL TUESDAY: Republicans announce a leaner convention schedule to begin Tuesday — after canceling all events Monday except for a symbolic, 10-minute opening because of the approaching storm. How will a town full of eager delegates spend the day now?
3. NO BIDEN: Florida does without the nation's current vice president on Monday. Joe Biden scrapped a campaign swing through the state on account of the storm.
4. LOGISTICAL RESHUFFLINGS: Even with no formal convention events, lots of GOP luncheons and engagements are scheduled — and some are being relocated to accommodate possible inclement weather. Among the displaced happenings: a breakfast with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, and a brunch with former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and House Speaker John Boehner.
5. AND AN EXTRA DAY OF ANTICIPATION: Convention delayed will not be convention denied, say some enthusiastic participants. "We're ready to blow the roofs off on Tuesday night," says Mitch Zak, media director for California's GOP delegation.
- It's not just young people — seniors...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- 'Maze Runner' races past 'Tombstones' with...
- White House intruder identified as Army...
- Ex-stepson: White House intruder meant no harm
- Secret Service boosts security outside White...
- Tense hunt in trooper ambush case hits 8 days
- Who wins Senate control? Nov. 4 might not decide
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 20
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 9
- It's not just young people —... 6
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- Dempsey: Half of Iraqi army not OK as... 4