Here are some things to watch for at the GOP convention Monday:
1. WHEN THE RAINS CAME: Tropical Storm Isaac was on course to pass west of the convention city of Tampa, Fla., and instead was targeting a broad swatch of the Gulf Coast, including New Orleans. Flood warnings, wind, rain and thunderstorms were in Tampa's weather forecast for the week.
2. WAIT 'TIL TUESDAY: Republicans announce a leaner convention schedule to begin Tuesday — after canceling all events Monday except for a symbolic, 10-minute opening because of the approaching storm. How will a town full of eager delegates spend the day now?
3. NO BIDEN: Florida does without the nation's current vice president on Monday. Joe Biden scrapped a campaign swing through the state on account of the storm.
4. LOGISTICAL RESHUFFLINGS: Even with no formal convention events, lots of GOP luncheons and engagements are scheduled — and some are being relocated to accommodate possible inclement weather. Among the displaced happenings: a breakfast with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, and a brunch with former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and House Speaker John Boehner.
5. AND AN EXTRA DAY OF ANTICIPATION: Convention delayed will not be convention denied, say some enthusiastic participants. "We're ready to blow the roofs off on Tuesday night," says Mitch Zak, media director for California's GOP delegation.
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Africa and...
- Friends, family of Dallas Ebola patient reach...
- Ana turns into hurricane off the coast of Hawaii
- Some 60 head of cattle shot in Nevada spree;...
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign of split
- Can public officials refuse to perform...
- CDC to revise Ebola protocol, Pentagon preps...
- Police hunt for clues near where Va. remains...
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 67
- Houston subpoenas sermons in battle... 32
- Budget deficit drops to $483B, lowest... 26
- Official: 2nd worker isolated within 90... 21
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 21
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 16
- Are teachers getting behind Common... 15
- Gay marriage becomes legal in Arizona,... 14