Here are some things to watch for at the GOP convention Monday:
1. WHEN THE RAINS CAME: Tropical Storm Isaac was on course to pass west of the convention city of Tampa, Fla., and instead was targeting a broad swatch of the Gulf Coast, including New Orleans. Flood warnings, wind, rain and thunderstorms were in Tampa's weather forecast for the week.
2. WAIT 'TIL TUESDAY: Republicans announce a leaner convention schedule to begin Tuesday — after canceling all events Monday except for a symbolic, 10-minute opening because of the approaching storm. How will a town full of eager delegates spend the day now?
3. NO BIDEN: Florida does without the nation's current vice president on Monday. Joe Biden scrapped a campaign swing through the state on account of the storm.
4. LOGISTICAL RESHUFFLINGS: Even with no formal convention events, lots of GOP luncheons and engagements are scheduled — and some are being relocated to accommodate possible inclement weather. Among the displaced happenings: a breakfast with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, and a brunch with former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and House Speaker John Boehner.
5. AND AN EXTRA DAY OF ANTICIPATION: Convention delayed will not be convention denied, say some enthusiastic participants. "We're ready to blow the roofs off on Tuesday night," says Mitch Zak, media director for California's GOP delegation.
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- Vanished plane flew for more than six hours...
- South at heart of close fight to control US...
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough discovery on...
- Picture of the two pilots on the missing...
- Officers' body cameras raise privacy concerns
- Food pantries on the rise at US college campuses
- States explore free community college
- British judge hears arguments in case... 51
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough... 29
- Student who sued parents to get them to... 21
- States explore free community college 16
- President Obama calls for a... 15
- Obama says health care program is stable 14
- Senate investigation of CIA dogged by... 9
- Deadline fast approaching for... 9