FARMINGDALE, N.Y. — Nick Watney salvaged a dismal season with a victory Sunday at The Barclays that was timely in so many ways.
Watney turned a two-shot deficit against Sergio Garcia into a three-shot lead in four holes around the turn at Bethpage Black, and then hung on to close with a 2-under 69 and capture the opening playoff event for the FedEx Cup. Watney won by three over Brandt Snedeker.
Watney is assured a shot at the $10 million prize at the Tour Championship next month. Winning against one of the strongest fields of the year also puts him in the conversation as a captain's pick for the Ryder Cup. Davis Love III will select four players after next week's tournament outside Boston.
Garcia shot 75 and tied for third.
- High school football: Top 25 preseason rankings
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- Some fringe Jazz players opened eyes in Vegas
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- BYU football: Alani Fua may be next Cougar...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 167
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 35
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 30
- Watch list roundup: 22 local players... 26