FARMINGDALE, N.Y. — Nick Watney salvaged a dismal season with a victory Sunday at The Barclays that was timely in so many ways.
Watney turned a two-shot deficit against Sergio Garcia into a three-shot lead in four holes around the turn at Bethpage Black, and then hung on to close with a 2-under 69 and capture the opening playoff event for the FedEx Cup. Watney won by three over Brandt Snedeker.
Watney is assured a shot at the $10 million prize at the Tour Championship next month. Winning against one of the strongest fields of the year also puts him in the conversation as a captain's pick for the Ryder Cup. Davis Love III will select four players after next week's tournament outside Boston.
Garcia shot 75 and tied for third.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 27
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21