FARMINGDALE, N.Y. — Nick Watney salvaged a dismal season with a victory Sunday at The Barclays that was timely in so many ways.
Watney turned a two-shot deficit against Sergio Garcia into a three-shot lead in four holes around the turn at Bethpage Black, and then hung on to close with a 2-under 69 and capture the opening playoff event for the FedEx Cup. Watney won by three over Brandt Snedeker.
Watney is assured a shot at the $10 million prize at the Tour Championship next month. Winning against one of the strongest fields of the year also puts him in the conversation as a captain's pick for the Ryder Cup. Davis Love III will select four players after next week's tournament outside Boston.
Garcia shot 75 and tied for third.
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 63
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 51