Our Take: Former Ute basketball coach Rick Majerus is at his funny best when he is talking about food, dropping self-deprecating one-liners about weight.
The undercurrent, though, has always been the heart problems the food caused. He has been in and out of hospitals several times to combat the effects of his diet and his genetics. His departure from the Utah program was spurred by health concerns. He accepted the job at USC and then reneged, at least partially due to health worries.
With his latest scare — he took medical leave last week — comes this commentary by an understanding source: A St. Louis columnist who can relate to Majerus on a personal basis.
"The last time I had dinner with Rick Majerus, at a restaurant in the Central West End, the meal turned into the usual feast.
"But this had little to do with the food. In a guilt-free dining experience, we both ate healthy on that warm March evening. A small miracle, yes. But our dinner was special because of the conversation."
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Morning links: NBA post-up is not dead;...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- High school All-Sports awards: Davis, Maple...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 47
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 45
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 33
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 10
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball... 7
- Amy Donaldson: It's easy for this... 5