"It's nice to smile after the game. It's been a rough month, a very rough month," Acta said. "We're looking forward to turning things around and see some of our kids get out there and make some impact on the games we have left."
Despite their fifth loss in six road games, the AL East-leading Yankees remained 3½ games ahead of Tampa Bay, which lost 4-2 to Oakland.
Masterson coasted through five innings, allowing just three hits and holding a 3-0 lead.
But the Yankees had him on the ropes in the sixth, when they loaded the bases on two singles and a walk. Teixeira's sacrifice fly to deep center made it 3-1, and Masterson walked Curtis Granderson to refill the bases. However, Masterson got Eric Chavez on a liner to third and right fielder Shin-Soo Choo ran down Russell Martin's drive at the warning track.
As the ball left his bat, Martin thought it would clear Choo's head.
"I did at first, but the ball just died and he was there," Martin said. "I thought I struck it better than that, but obviously I didn't."
NOTES: Jeter has a .366 career average at Progressive Field — his highest at any ballpark. He went 2 for 5 and leads the majors with 173 hits. ... Girardi expects LHP Andy Pettitte to appear in another major league game this season. Pettitte has been on the disabled list with a broken left ankle since June 28. He threw in the outfield before the game and is scheduled to visit Dr. Chris Ahmad on Monday in New York. ... Cano is batting .430 (34 of 79) with six homers and 20 RBIs in 20 games against Cleveland since the start of the 2010 season.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 61
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34