5 questions with Southern Utah University Athletic Director Ken Beazer
Photo Courtesy Southern Utah University
Q: What does entering the Big Sky Conference mean to SUU?
A: It means aligning Southern Utah University with a strong, stable and mature conference comprised of institutions that make sense geographically, all of whom share a commonality in purpose and function. Joining the BSC has been a combined campus and community effort for over 20 years, and the full impact of this move has had a positive ripple throughout our department, campus and region.
Q: What are coaches and players telling you about the move?
A: There is a definite boost in the energy level around campus. The student-athletes are thrilled with the prospect of not having to fly transcontinental to every conference game, being able to compete in venues that are within driving distance for their family and friends. Our coaching staff noticed an immediate, positive impact with the move to the Big Sky Conference in recruiting. The BSC has been a much easier sell within the region.
Q: What other new things are we going to see this year in SUU athletics?
A: Eccles Coliseum will have a new synthetic football surface and additional bleacher seating in the north end zone designed specifically to host former student-athletes and their families. In addition, we have new coaching staffs for men's basketball and women's soccer.
Q: The Big Sky football polls have the Thunderbirds finishing in the middle of the pack. Is this a fair estimate?
A: I fully expected to appear somewhere in the middle of the preseason polls. The BSC institutions we have played in the past have a great deal of respect for our football program; yet, we remain an unknown to the others.
Q: What is your favorite part of the 2012 football schedule?
A: My favorite part of the schedule begins on Sept. 22, when we officially open up BSC play at Portland State. As already mentioned, the institution has been waiting over 20 years for this moment. I'm extremely excited to watch it unfold.
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- Best of the West: Shifting teams around after...
- Morning links: ESPN's Chad Ford draft...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 99
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 94
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 36
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28