SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The Bees grabbed an early lead and then held on, as Salt Lake edged the Sacramento River Cats 4-3 on Friday night.
The Bees took a 2-0 lead in the first on a run scoring triple by Andrew Romine and an RBI single by Luis Jimenez. Salt Lake grabbed a 4-0 lead in the second inning on back-to-back homers by Ryan Langerhans and Cory Aldridge. The River Cats would chip away at the Bees' lead with two runs in the fourth and one in the sixth, but they missed out on several scoring opportunities the rest of the game.
Five Salt Lake pitchers combined to walk 10 batters and give up nine hits, but they would escape by stranding 17 Sacramento baserunners.
Matt Shoemaker (10-9) picked up the in, as he went five and two-third innings and allowed three runs on five hits with seven strikeouts and five walks. Ryan Brasier record his 13th save of the season.
RAPTORS 14, BILLINGS 4: At Ogden, first baseman Jesus Valdez led the charge for the Raptors at Lindquist Field as he went 3 for 5 with a double, a home run and four RBIs. Six different players had two hits or more as Ogden clubbed the Mustangs. Valdez has four doubles, two home runs and 12 RBIs on the week.
OWLZ 1, VOYAGERS 0: At Great Falls, Mont., Jonathan Walsh walked with the bases loaded in the top of the ninth inning, as Anthony Bemboom came home to score the only run of the game in a 1-0 Owlz victory. Garrett Baker helped the Owlz get its third shutout of the season, throwing three perfect innings.
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- College football predictions: How will... 140
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 47
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42