Dick Harmon: Should Austin Collie take his concussions and walk away from the NFL?
Steve Young, for instance, had multiple concussions dating back to college and his NFL career. While the jury's still out if he'll experience serious depression, Parkinson's disease or lose his memory before he should, the guy is currently a vibrant, smart TV commentator who just hosted — and did very well — the birthday celebration of LDS President Thomas S. Monson.
While Scott Collie's answers could be criticized, it comes from a father who has been there as a professional football player in the CFL, a guy who had his body torn apart and sewn back together and understands fully the risks of playing the game.
I saw Scott Collie just over a week ago at a BYU practice where his youngest son Dylan is stepping into another phase of his career as a Cougar, just as his older brothers Austin and Zac did.
I've spoken to Scott over the years many times and he is a thoughtful, rational, devoted father. His wife is a successful personal trainer, a real professional. They understand the impact of concussions.
Maybe one more and Austin is done.
One thing we do know, Austin Collie is not going to quit football right now.
It's going to take more adversity than he faced Sunday with that Steeler hit for Collie to place his magic on the shelf and walk away.
- Utah basketball: Utes get 'punched in the...
- BYU football: D-line returned missionaries...
- Minute-by-minute: How Utah and USU lost while...
- BYU basketball: Prior to Gonzaga loss,...
- High school baseball: 5A team-by-team region...
- Brad Rock: Arizona wipeout not a killer for Utes
- High school baseball: 4A team-by-team region...
- BYU basketball: Kyle Collinsworth has torn...
- Minute-by-minute: How Utah and USU lost... 103
- Utah basketball: Utes outlast... 89
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 86
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early... 72
- Utah basketball: Utes get 'punched in... 67
- San Francisco coach apologizes for... 57
- BYU basketball: Kyle Collinsworth has... 44
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 32