BYU football: New LaVell Edwards Stadium scoreboard screens nearly complete
Twitter via Jason Shepherd
Fans at LaVell Edwards Stadium will have a better view of their Cougars in 2012, no matter where they sit.
That's because BYU is almost finished installing new scoreboard video screens at both the north and south ends of the stadium, which will show replays in a widescreen 16:9 ratio.
Images from a PDF submitted to the Provo City Planning Commission show the dimensions of the new screens. The old north scoreboard had a screen width of 27 feet and a height of 18 feet (486 square feet), while the new one is 51 feet 3 inches in width and 34 feet 4 inches in height (1,765 square feet).
The south scoreboard's new size is 51 feet 4 inches feet wide and 33 feet 7 inches high (1,732 square feet), up from 33 feet 6 inches wide and 25 feet high (840 square feet).
Users on CougarBoard.com created an overlay image using the schematics in the PDF. The original schematics were not drawn to scale, but the CougarBoard users altered them to accurately represent the scale and difference in screen size.
In addition, a new video "ribbon" LED screen has been installed around the top of the stadium. The ribbon is four feet tall with an eight-foot-tall cap at the end of each section.
KSL producer Jason Shepherd tweeted a picture of the new north scoreboard under construction earlier this week, and BYU fan blog Deep Shades of Blue has several other photos taken at the stadium earlier this month.
Live webcams showing the progress of construction on the new scoreboards are available via byucougars.com. The screens are scheduled to be ready in time for BYU's season opener against Washington State at LaVell Edwards Stadium on Aug. 30.
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30, Mendenhall...
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Plenty of blame to go around for Cougars...
- Utah-USC: Battle of ranked teams at...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz wrap up preseason play at 5-3...
- BYU football report card: Boise State's big...
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30,... 114
- Dick Harmon: Utes climb on big stage;... 75
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a... 61
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some... 26
- Utes picked to finish 2nd in Pac-12... 24
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 21
- BYU walk-on Carter makes most of... 19
- Beast mode: Utah running back Devontae... 18