Utah Utes football: More mature DeVonte Christopher leads by example
Christopher came up big in Utah's Sun Bowl victory over Georgia Tech. He caught a 28-yard touchdown pass on fourth-and-18 with 1:32 to play in regulation to eventually force overtime.
Earlier in the game, Christopher netted 97 yards on two kickoff returns and was named Sun Bowl Special Teams MVP.
The 2007 Nevada high school player of the year has five 100-yard receiving games with the Utes. The two most recent ones came last season against USC (136) and Washington (125).
The numbers, however, are secondary to what Christopher hopes will be his legacy at Utah. He wants to be the guy that Roderick talks about in the team meeting room, a player who didn't come in with the best attitude and maturity but showed significant progression by the time he graduated.
"People relate to people who struggle and overcome things," Christopher said.
Now, five years after his arrival at Utah, Christopher is eager to end things on a high note and hopefully move on to a career in the NFL.
"It's just that time where it finally has to click," Christopher said. "This is definitely priority No. 1. This is what I love to do and I just want to be the best at it while I'm here."
Christopher came to Utah as a highly touted quarterback before switching positions. His background and understanding of defensive coverages has helped him form a special bond with starter Jordan Wynn.
"It's nice because we can almost read each other's minds. We read each other's mind at the line. He sees what I see. I see what he sees," Wynn said. "(If) he's going to change his route I'm going to throw it to where he's changing. It just clicks."
Wynn's shoulder injury curtailed the connection midway through the fourth game of 2011. At the time, Wynn and Christopher had teamed up on 19 completions for 258 yards and two touchdowns. The season totals reflect 35.4 percent of Wynn's passing yards, 33.3 percent of his scoring strikes and 28.7 percent of his connections.
"Hopefully this is the year where we kind of put it all together," Wynn said.
DeVonte Christopher file
6-1, 200, Senior
Led the Utes in receiving yards and touchdown receptions the past two seasons.
Has 83 career catches for 1,361 yards and 11 touchdowns over 35 games (17 starts) at Utah.
Sun Bowl Special Teams MVP.
Graduated in May.
- NBC to unveil new theme song for 'Sunday...
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 63
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Morning links: Warriors feel Andrew... 22