Ravell Call, Ravell Call, Deseret News
Above, students in Marci Law's third-grade class at Jordan Hills Elementary chat with 1st Sgt. Bryan Smethurst via Skype from Afghanistan. During the session Smethurst was pleasantly surprised when his wife, son and mother joined in. Smethurst, who is Law's brother, previously had received letters from students in the class. At left, Becky Smethurst, pictured second from left and the wife of 1st Sgt. Bryan Smethurst, is emotional as she learns she will be talking by computer with her husband in Afghanistan. Also pictured, from left to right, are Jace Smethurst, son of Bryan and Becky, Bryan's mother Rowdy Bowcutt and Marci Law, the class' teacher and sister of Bryan.
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 85
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 27
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 25
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 16