College football notebook: Cal holds mock game at renovated stadium
BERKELEY, Calif. — California's renovated Memorial Stadium has passed its first test and now the Golden Bears are ready to see it filled up on game day.
The players practiced running onto the field for pregame introductions Tuesday night, there were test runs for the lighting, the PA system, clocks and concession stands, and even the band was on hand.
"Taking the field we had the smoke and all of that and we ran through it," coach Jeff Tedford said Wednesday. "It had a game feel to it actually. People were anxious. Even walking on the field I had butterflies a little bit walking out there. It's just a feel walking out to the stadium the way we always do it. It was exciting."
Tedford said the only glitch were some problems with the play clock but nothing that should stop the $321 million seismic retrofit and renovation from being ready for the opener against Nevada on Sept. 1.
The Bears have already had a couple of practices at the new stadium and will be in there all next week to get ready for the season opener.
It will be the first game on campus since 2010. Cal played last season at the San Francisco Giants' home, AT&T Park, across San Francisco Bay.
The stadium, which was built in 1923, underwent a complete overhaul after the 2010 season.
2 TEXAS GAMES ON OWN NETWORK: The Longhorn Network will carry two Texas football games again this season, though it hasn't announced any Big 12 contests on its schedule. The opponents are Wyoming in the season opener Sept. 1 and New Mexico on Sept. 8. Both games will start at 7 p.m. Central time.
OREGON UNVEILS NEW UNIFORMS: The Oregon Ducks added to their array of flashy Nike-designed uniforms. The new jerseys will come in green, yellow, black and white. The Ducks are also expected to incorporate the so-called liquid metal helmets.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 107
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 32
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20